This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you’re studying abroad or just taking a Winter Break trip, there are eight key things that you will need to do before you travel.

1. Get Travel Vaccinations

Make sure that you have all the vaccinations necessary for the places to which you’ll be traveling. You don’t want to contract any foreign diseases.

2. Make Sure You Have A Passport

Make sure your passport hasn’t expired yet or that it won’t expire for at least another 6 months. Otherwise you won’t be able to leave or get back into the U.S.!

3. Check The Weather For Your Destination

For certain countries, the summer and winter seasons occur at different times than they do in the U.S. Even during transitional seasons, there are often exceptions to weather patterns, so make sure you know what the weather will be like during the time you’ll be on your trip.

4. Learn the Language

While becoming fluent in the language of the country you’ll be visiting is just not going to happen, make sure to pick up a phrase book or a language CD to go over before you leave so you’ll at least be able to ask “Where’s the bathroom?” iPhones also have some helpful apps you can check out.

5. Set Up A Skype Account

If you’re not going to be traveling with an international phone, make sure to set up a Skype account before you leave. This way, you’ll be able to easily stay in contact with loved ones back at home.

6. Make Sure You Know The Exchange Rate

Make sure you know what the exchange rate is for the country you will be visiting. That way you’ll know just how much money you should be bringing with you.

7. Talk To Your Bank

Make sure to notify your bank if you’re planning on using your credit or debit card in another country. Otherwise, it might look like someone else is using your card. #Drama

8. Make Your Itinerary

Make sure to check out what interesting attractions are near by to where you will be staying. If you are hoping to check something out that is at a distance from your hotel, make sure to find the transportation necessary for you to get there, find out how much time it will take to get there, and how much the transportation will cost so that you won’t be short on money.

Happy Travels, Collegiettes!

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst