This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For us Collegiettes, we have about 3 whole months of summer vacation. On top of beach trips and music festivals we should find some time out of our day to spend some time by ourselves and enjoy our own company.  Sometimes things are fun solo.  Here is a list of activities other than Netflix that are fun when you’re having your own time.

1. Go shopping

Everyone loves to go shopping with their BFF but sometimes it’s great to enjoy a shopping adventure by yourself. You get to spend however many hours you want in a store and sift through all the sale racks. Also you’ll be able to try on countless items of clothing and finally find your perfect jean fit without someone banging on your changing room door.  

2. Go to the museum

If you’re from Massachusetts there are great museums located in Boston. You have the Museum of Fine Arts that contains beautiful pieces of artwork and they are also featuring works by Leonardo Da Vinci this summer! You also have the Museum of Science which is always super interesting, the Aquarium, and the Boston Children’s Museum. Educate yo self.

3. Go to a show

If you have different music tastes than your friends, you know the struggle when one of your favorite bands is touring near you. It’s like a dream come true but unfortunately no one wants to buy tickets to go see them with you. Instead of missing out on the opportunity to see them perform live, just buy tickets and go see them yourself! You just have to make sure that you are 100% comfortable in going alone and that you’re safe. Stay away from the rowdy moshers.  

4. Arts and crafts

Log into your Pinterest and finally get working on that DIY project that you pinned months ago. Take a drive to you local Michael’s or Joann’s to gather the materials and prepare to make some cute decor!

5. Go to a movie matinee

Remember that movie that you really want to see but are too embarrassed to ask someone to go see it with you? Buy a matinee ticket! Matinee’s are usually super cheap and no one needs to know that you cried at all the sappy love parts.  

6. Go into the city

Take a nice train trip into the city and get lunch at a your favorite cafe. Sip on a nice cappuccino and just people watch. It’s never a boring day in the city and it’s full of eccentric people. You’ll probably run into some street performances and street artists; don’t be afraid to stop and enjoy their talents!

7. Experiment with new makeup and hair trends

Time to try out that new eyeshadow you just bought or try out that new tutorial on smokey eyes. Trying to learn how to do a fishtail braid? Take this time to do all of that! If the makeup look isn’t working out, no need to fuss because no one saw it on.

Have a fun filled day Collegiettes!  

Gifs: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7  Header: 1

Jessica Chien

U Mass Amherst

Jessica is currently a Sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a studio arts major who enjoys drawing, drinking coffee and having dance parties in her dorm room. She doesn't like to be rushed when it comes to eating and she listens to her favorite song on repeat when she's walking to class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst