The 7 Stages of Balancing your Long Distance Relationship and your Social Life in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

College is a time of figuring out your personal life. You meet new friends, new boys, and you’re figuring out what you want in the long run. Sometimes, those things aren’t always in the same place, and we think that we’re capable of this complicated balancing act.

1. Expectation

“Everything will be fine. I’ll take weekends off to go and see the sweetheart and during the week I’ll spend time with friends. It’ll all workout!”

1. Preparation

“My bus tickets are purchased, I’ve joined a few clubs, and I can totally handle splitting my time up! Those people who said this would be impossible have no idea what they’re talking about!”

1. Complication

“Okay, I’ve apparently planned to go away the weekend of the biggest homecoming party of the year. That’s no big deal, I’m sure they always say that to get the freshman excited about it!”

1. Aggravation

“No really, it’s fine! Post all of the pictures from Saturday night. I really love seeing how much fun you all had without me! And please, ask me again how well splitting my time up is going!”

1. Inebriation

“Maybe if I take these shots I’ll forget about how far away he is from me…. Or maybe you’ll have to take me home early because I’ll start crying at the party.”

1. Negotiation

“I am willing to do anything at this point to make separating my time easier. Maybe I should just become a hermit and never speak to anyone ever again.”

1. Deprivation

“Never mind whose turn it is to see me, this bottle of wine has my name written all over it!”

Bonus:

8. Reality

It will never be an easy task, trying to manage seeing your SO and being with your friends at college. That doesn’t mean that we won’t keep trying though!

Gifs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Whitney Thomas

U Mass Amherst

Whitney is a Junior at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. She's a double major in Legal Studies and English with a minor in Sociology, focused on criminology. She's also a member of the Delta Mu chapter of Alpha Chi Omega at UMass. She is mildly obsessed with her dog and wine. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst