6 Ways You Can Make the Most Out of Mothers Day Being at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Being away from your mom or a mother figure on the one day that is dedicated to her can be hard. Whether you live a couple of minutes or hours away from home, being away from your mom or mother figure on Mother’s Day isn’t easy. Here are a few ways to compensate and celebrate your mom even if you cannot be with her physically. 

make a video

Although you aren’t able to be with your mom or mother figure physically, a video can replicate this! When I turned 16 it was during the pandemic, and my sister compiled a bunch of videos of my family and friends giving me their own personalized birthday message. Although I wasn’t able to be with them physically, hearing their voice and seeing their face was all I needed! Sending one of your family members behind a video message for your mom on Mother’s Day would make her day! Sometimes I call my mom on the phone and she always asks to Facetime because seeing my face means so much to her. 

compile a gift basket with all of her favorite things

Finding one perfect gift for your mom can be extremely hard. I don’t know about you, but my mom is so hard to shop for. Filling a basket with little things like a candle, her favorite snack/candy, or a book you think she might like is a lot easier than finding one perfect gift. Also, I mean who doesn’t love multiple presents as opposed to one. 

go on a virtual “date” with her

Sometimes when I’m homesick I like to do little “dates” with my mom. This can be going on a walk and having your mom on the phone, grabbing dinner and FaceTiming while you eat, or having a picnic and having your mom on the phone. This always makes me feel so connected to her and less homesick.

spend time with your friends!

There will be plenty of other people on campus who I’m sure will be sharing the same feeling of missing their mom or mother figure. Spending time with friends can feel less lonely and is a perfect way to keep busy. 

write and mail your mom a letter

Having something to open from you on Mother’s Day even though you aren’t physically there can mean so much. I know personally in our modern day and age. I heavily enjoy and appreciate opening a letter as opposed to a text.

make your mom a playlist

This is a more creative and fun present especially if you like music! My mom always asks me what I’m listening to and if I can recommend her new music. “Slipping through my fingers,” by Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried is a perfect addition to this playlist.

Being away from your mom is certainly difficult but not impossible and unfortunately something a lot of us will have to get used to. There are so many other ways to make your mom or mother figures day from afar including some of these!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Olivia Boyd

U Mass Amherst '26

Olivia is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying communications and minoring in political science. Some of her passions include traveling, being active, trying new food, and watching sunsets. Growing up in Amsterdam, Olivia has traveled all across Europe and hopes to live there one day.