This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ladies (and non-binary royalty), I’m not going to sit here and tell you all what specific styles you NEED to have to be stylish this summer. That has never been, and never will be, the way I dress, write articles, or offer advice. For me, clothes are a way to express yourself, be your own unique person, and to get sh!t done. I’m an active person, and I spend a lot of time outside adventuring during the summer (and all year round). If my clothes can’t keep up with me, they’re not for me.

With all that being said, here are six summer staples I need in my closet — and you might too!

A bathing suit you are 100% confident in. 

I’ve always struggled with finding bathing suits that fit me well and that I feel good in. A good bathing suit revolutionizes summer, I’m telling you. I recently bought this textured twist one-piece suit from Old Navy on sale. It’s so flattering but keeps me relatively covered (which is important to me)! I’m so excited to rock it this summer. 

T-shirts…that don’t show sweat stains. 

Now, let’s be real. I live in Vermont. It’s hot and humid. I’m on the go and I don’t have AC. I guarantee you that I’m going to sweat through my shirts. Dark colors are your friend. Navy blues, dark reds, black, etc. Avoid grey at all costs. 

Overalls.

Last summer I was gifted Gap overalls for my birthday in June. GAME CHANGER. You can pair these bad boys with literally anything. Mine are fairly wide-legged (similar to these) which means I don’t get too hot and sweaty during the summer. Plus, they’re super easy to just throw on and look so cute

These tank tops. 

I’m not even kidding, I have five of these tanks in different colors and I wear them all the time during the summer. They’re so comfy, go with everything, and are only $6. 

Jumpsuits, jumpsuits, jumpsuits!

Can you tell my style is all about comfort and ease? Jumpsuits (and rompers), like overalls, are super easy to throw on, comfortable, and crazy stylish. My favorites are from Old Navy. 

Sneakers. 

Now if you can rock the summer and do all your summer fun comfortably wearing sandals, KUDOS TO YOU. I cannot. Nike’s “Tanjun” sneakers are a must for me. I’ve purchased these sneakers over and over again (white is my fave), and even bought them in black to wear to work when I waitressed a few summers ago. These sneakers are comfortable, simple, and so affordable you can run them right into the ground without thinking twice. Even wearing these every day from May to September, they usually lasted me about two summers. And they’re $50. 

I told you this wouldn’t be fancy. Hopefully, you got some good tips and are ready to rock this summer your way. Remember, you’re a boss. 

HCXO,

Abigail Grimm

U Mass Amherst '24

Abby, Events Director of HC UMass Amherst, is a current junior honors student studying public health and health policy. Besides HerCampus, she spends time exercising, outside on her bike or with her dogs (especially in her home state, Vermont), playing music, and drinking absurd amounts of coffee. Find her on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/abby_324/
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst