Life > Experiences

6 Lessons Learned: A Freshman’s Journey at UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I have never been the type of person who is good with change. That being said, the idea of leaving the comfort of my hometown and going to college terrified me. Now a year later, I have found some of the most important people in my life and I am lucky enough to be able to call Amherst my home away from home. Below are some lessons I learned throughout this journey. 

Don’t take things too seriously

I found myself stressing over way too many things that now looking back, were not as big of a deal as I thought they were going to be. Whether it’s getting a bad grade, missing out, or not knowing what to expect, everything always works out in the end.

Put yourself out there

UMass can feel like a really big community and it can definitely be overwhelming at times. Know that you are not alone and every freshman is experiencing being part of a way bigger community. I remember my first couple of days at UMass everything felt like a maze. Now with three weeks left to go, I have no problem navigating around campus. I highly recommend joining clubs or other organizations. I am part of two and it has made UMass feel a lot smaller. 

Don’t knock anything until you try it 

An organization I am part of is Greek Life. In high school, I had always had a negative perspective about joining a sorority and never thought it would be for me until I got to college. My sister encouraged me to try it out, and although I wasn’t 100% for the idea, I am so glad I did. It’s always better to try things out rather than regretting not doing something. 

Keep an open mind

Saying yes and trying new things is one of the biggest takeaways I hope you get from this article. College really makes you go out of your comfort zone which can be scary. Motivating yourself to do these things can make such a difference. For example, I met one of my friends simply by sitting next to her in class and having a conversation. If she had never said hello to me in the first place, we never would have been friends. These little acts can go such a long way.

You have the power to create a new you

Going to college, you have the freedom to create a new identity. You have the power to leave behind perceptions and ideas of you created by other people. A clean slate and a chance to start new.

Everyone gets FOMO

FOMO can be very real in college, but only if you let it affect you. Staying true to yourself and listening to your mind and body is so important. If staying in one night is what is best for you then so be it. Remember that most of the time a lot of things seem more fun than they actually are.

Transitioning to college can be a lot, but remember that there are millions of other kids going through the same transition, and you are never alone.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia Boyd

U Mass Amherst '26

Olivia is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying communications and minoring in political science. Some of her passions include traveling, being active, trying new food, and watching sunsets. Growing up in Amsterdam, Olivia has traveled all across Europe and hopes to live there one day.