6 Bucket List National Parks To Go To: Can’t-Miss Trails, Scenic Spots, and Helpful Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

These are some of the most beautiful national parks in the continental United States, and some of the ones you may not have heard of as much. In this article, you will get to learn about some of the more underrated national parks and how to get the ultimate experience when visiting each of them.

Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Zion

Zion National Park is a hidden treasure in a beautiful area in the middle of Utah. Complete with tall, revering sandstone mountains covered with trees, Zion brings the full package. The mountains and rivers weaving through the park give way to the creation of some of the most beautiful places, like both the upper and lower Emerald Pools, the Narrows, and the Kolob Canyons. Zion is particularly famous for Angel’s Landing which is an incredibly challenging, yet rewarding trail that features roughly 21 switchbacks. Once you complete it, you will be met with a view from the top like none other. Make sure to bring plenty of water, and good hiking shoes with crampons. If it is raining when you go, keep checking the park site for updates on trail closures.

Death Valley

Death Valley’s incredible landscape, the different elevations, and the amazing way that the environment changes between day and night all make it a bucket-list national park. Located in southern California, the climate can affect your experience. So if you go to it in the summer, definitely make sure to pack a ton of water and lots of sunscreen as it is one of the hottest places in the continental U.S. I went in the winter, and it was just as beautiful minus the hot sun. Either time you go, your experience will not disappoint! Some spectacular spots to go to are the Artist’s Palette, Zabriskie Point, and Badwater Basin, and watch the stars under the Mesquite Sand dunes. When stargazing at Death Valley, make sure to wait at least 30 minutes for your eyes to get adjusted to the utter darkness, and once they do, they will be met with a beautiful expanse of the cosmos.

Dry Tortugas

Dry Tortugas National Park is an extraordinary national park in Key West. Not technically attached to the coast, you can only access it by ferry or plane, so make sure you have a plan on how to get to it. Separated by seven islands, it does not have much land, so it takes advantage of having countless water activities like swimming, snorkeling, and diving into the crystal clear waters that surround it. In addition, the park boasts the impressive Fort Jefferson which is one of the largest forts of the 19th century in the U.S. and is located on one of the islands, Garden Key. When at the park, definitely take a tour of the Fort as it is a historical wonder. On another island not too far from this, Loggerhead Key, try out Windjammer Wreck and Little Africa for snorkeling.

New river gorge

Located in West Virginia, New River Gorge is truly a well-kept secret. The main attraction is the bridge that goes over New River, which is one of the oldest rivers on the North American continent. The views from this bridge, especially in the fall, are enchanting and rival the views of New England Fall. With the river flowing underneath and the entire mountainous expanse surrounding the bridge, it truly is a must-see location. Along with the bridge, there are also several trails to walk and a scenic drive to take in the beauty of New River Gorge. Brooklyn trail is moderate in difficulty, while Arbuckle Connector Trail is more strenuous. Fayette Station Road is the scenic drive that spans roughly eight miles, and driving the whole thing is for sure a worthwhile experience if you have the time for it.

Acadia

Acadia National Park is an expansive area near Bar Harbor, Maine that encompasses the (beautiful) landscape that Maine has. One of its most incredible sights is Cadillac Mountain, which is the first place in the United States to see the sunrise. It also has the highest elevation on the Eastern seaboard, making it a great place to go to when visiting the national park. Make sure to book a car reservation for driving up the mountain because, without a reservation, you will not be able to drive up. Aside from Cadillac Mountain, Acadia’s Gorham Mountain Loop is a great coastal trail to hike that gives you a panoramic view of the surrounding mountains, the bay, and nearby islands. It is a more strenuous trail so make sure to be prepared with hiking boots and water, and to be informed of what parts of the trail are open or closed.

Shenandoah

Shenandoah National Park is the official national park of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It straddles the mountain range in both North Carolina and Virginia, showing off glamorous views through scenic overlooks and hidden waterfalls. Just driving through the national park on Skyline Drive, you can get a feel of how surreal Shenandoah is, and if you hike or visit the numerous waterfalls, you will not be disappointed. One can’t-miss waterfall is Jones Run Falls, which starts off with a 3.2 mile loop and a small incline that is relatively easy. Skyline Drive runs 105 miles both north and south of Blue Ridge, but there are only 4 ways to access the road, so make sure to plan ahead.

There are so many national parks in the U.S. that definitely deserve the spotlight, but these were some personal favorites of mine! I hope that these tips help you on your trip to one of these incredible places and make it one to remember!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Nandini Kritam

U Mass Amherst '25

Nandini is a junior Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major, who loves writing, listening to music, photography, and drawing. She loves finding niche topics and writing about the world and her experiences!