This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Have you ever found yourself wanting more with the person that you are seeing? Wanting to be in a relationship? The majority of people that I have met have been in a type of situation like this, but have no idea how to take the next step. By following these few simple tips, you’ll be on the right path to turning your ‘situationship’ into a relationship.

Love Is Blind S3 E3 00 37 01 09RC?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Courtesy of Netflix © 2022
Communicate

Communication really is key. Both verbal and physical. Pay attention to their body language when they are around you. Are they nervous? Happy? Kind? Body language can tell you a lot about how a person feels about you without them even saying anything. Also, pay attention to what they choose to share with you. Are they telling you personal details about themself or are they very reserved? If they are asking questions about you, then they probably want to get to know you on a more personal level. If you are confused about the signals they are giving you — just ask. By simply communicating, you can build something that turns into a relationship.

Spend More time together

Spending more time together will not only be a fun time, but it will also allow you to get to know the person you are interested in better. If you have only hung out with this person in a group of people, try to see if they want to do something as just the two of you. This could be anything from watching a movie, going to lunch, or even just taking a walk around a local park. If you are only seeing this person alone in a sexual sense, this could also be a great way to know more about them as a person. It can be nerve-wracking to take this step because it is putting your intentions out in the open. You can point out that you just want to hang out as friends, or you could be a little more daring and imply that it could be more like a date. Whatever you choose to do, it will show that you are interested in seeing them more often and enjoy being in their presence. Spending more time together will strengthen your existing relationship with the person you are interested in, which could lead to something more in the future.

Be yourself

One of the most difficult things to do in this world is to be yourself. Every day we are influenced by the way people act and dress: by the ‘ideal body image’ on social media, even by the way our friends act. If you want to be in a relationship with someone, you want them to like you for you — not for you trying to be someone else. If someone doesn’t want to date you for who you truly are, then they are not the right person to be in a relationship with. Everyone is unique in their own way, and there is someone out there for everyone. Being yourself is one of the best and most beautiful things you can do. If the person you are in a situationship doesn’t see that, then they are not the right person to get into a relationship with.

BE HONEST

Honesty is the best policy. Being honest, not only with what you want but with everything else in your life, is another great way to avoid conflict in the future. For every reason there is to lie, there’s a better reason, to tell the truth. Honesty is one of the building blocks of any relationship. If you want to turn your situationship into a relationship, you need to build trust with the person. In order to build trust, you need to be honest.

Take the Risk

People say that nothing good ever comes by staying in your comfort zone. And with situationships, this could not be more true. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. If you never take the next step and try to turn it into a relationship, it will never happen. So take the risk! You’re either going to learn something or get the results that you want. Even if it doesn’t go the way that you want it to, it will point you in the direction that you’re meant to go.

Situationships can be an extremely tough place to find yourself in. If you’re looking for some guidance on how to get out of the friend zone, try one, or all of the techniques. Chances are the person you are in a situationship with is also having the same thoughts and feelings.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Sydney Lamoureux

U Mass Amherst '24

Sydney is in her junior year at Umass Amherst. She is a double major in legal studies and psychology with a minor in history. She loves advocating for mental health among college students as well as finding cute cafes in New England :)