This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Going on a date is always an exciting event. Whether it’s a first date with a guy from class or an anniversary with a boyfriend, every girl wants to look and feel her best. As exciting as it is to go on a date, the getting ready part can be a little bit stressful. Here are some of my tips for getting ready for date night:

1. Give yourself plenty of time: If you can, try to add an extra half hour to the time you think you’ll need to get ready. It’s better to be ready too early rather than making your date wait for you. You never know what make-up mishaps or clothing malfunctions you’ll run into while you’re getting ready! Plus, it’ll help you stay relaxed and not feel rushed to the last second.

2. Pick out your outfit first, and make sure to dress to the occasion: The second part of this tip is a huge one. Don’t show up to a hiking date in a skirt with a full face of makeup. Picking out your outfit before you do anything else assures that you won’t leave it for last minute. You don’t want to create a clothing tornado in your dorm, do you?

3. When it comes to your makeup, stick to what you know: Dates are not the time to experiment with your makeup. If you end up hating it and running out of time, it’s going to put you in a sour mood throughout the whole date. You need to feel confident when you leave the house so you can focus on the date and not worry about your appearance.

4. Comfort is key: No matter how cute your stiletto heels are, if you’re not comfortable in them, then leave them at home. Walking tall with confidence will take you way further than those shoes would have.

5. Make sure your outfit and makeup are representations of you: This is my most important tip. Don’t ever pretend to be someone else, especially not for a boy. No matter what you wear, or how your makeup is, if he’s right for you, none of that will matter. Remember- he asked you out on a date, so he sees something in you. Don’t go and change yourself!

Have fun on your date, Collegiettes!
Michele Thorkelsen

U Mass Amherst

Michele is in her third year at the University of Massachusetts, where she is studying journalism and information technology. She is also a brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a national co-ed honor fraternity.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst