5 Things UMass Should Actually Be Famous for

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

From positive press (like the dining halls using more local ingredients), to negative (think Blarney 2014 fiasco), UMass has been in the news a lot over the last year or so.

Like many schools, there has been tension between the administration and students. Is UMass a “football school” or is it a “globally recognized research institution?” Or both? Does anyone actually know?

To lighten the collective mood a bit, here are five things UMass should actually be famous for:

1. The scarily-intelligent, man-hatey squirrels:

If you graduate from UMass and never experience a standoff of some sort with a squirrel, did you really go to UMass? 

2. The GIGANTIC library:

Okay seriously, just take a minute to actually think about how tall the library is. It’s one of the tallest libraries (and just general academic buildings) in the world. Why doesn’t anyone make a big deal about this?

3. Lobster dinner on Halloween:

*insert something about Bill Cosby here*

No, but really, what other school does this? It’s pretty cool. 

4. Wind tunnel(s):

Thinking mostly about how you can’t walk by the library in a short skirt without dying of embarrassment. There are days where it’s physically impossible to walk in a straight line between the Old Chapel and Machmer. Aren’t there scientists of some sort who should be studying this?   

5. Bike Share Program:

Did you know you can rent a bike for free on campus? And all you need is your UCard. Students can sign out bikes from the Student Government office located in room 420 of the Student Union. They give you a lock, helmet and 24 hours with the bike. Pretty cool huh?

Come on, UMass. Obviously these are the things you should be showing prospective students.

(Just in case someone didn’t pick up on it, I promise that was sarcasm).

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst