Life > Experiences

5 Things I Learned from Studying Abroad in Florence, Italy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This summer I had the incredible opportunity to study abroad in Florence, Italy! During my time there I took one class to fulfill a requirement for my business minor and also was fortunate enough to travel around Italy and beyond. This experience was full of a lot of ups and downs and life lessons I will always carry with me.

It’s okay to be uncomfortable

After a couple of years of pandemic and regular anxiety, the thought of picking up and moving to another country for over a month was terrifying, especially in a place where I didn’t understand the language or culture well. I quickly realized that allowing myself to be uncomfortable was what ultimately pushed me to grow. I had only myself to rely on for getting around places and learning about societal norms and practices. As frightening as it was, it was the best way for me to assimilate into the culture in Florence.

Cultural awareness

It is absolutely essential to do research into the place you are traveling to before arriving. As a visitor, it’s important to be respectful of native culture and daily practices. One thing I learned about the culture from living in Florence for a month was that at any restaurant you go to, the waiter will not bring you the check until you ask for it. The restaurant will allow a group to stay all night until closing before giving them the check. Also, another thing I learned was that no one on the streets makes eye contact. In the U.S. I am constantly smiling and making eye contact with the people I pass in the street. In Florence, this is seen as an act that is not socially normal.

remain calm during challenges

This was one of the largest struggles for me. As fun and thrilling as this experience was, not everything went exactly as planned. On the way home, my first flight to Amsterdam was delayed causing me to miss my second flight back to Boston. I was alone and terrified. It was a defining moment for me as I realized I had no choice but to figure it out on my own. On the verge of a panic attack, I walked myself over to the Delta table in Amsterdam and asked what my options were. I ended up getting one of the last seats on the last plane back to Boston that day. I was extremely proud of myself for how I handled the situation and for all of the fear and anxiety I overcame to find a solution.

Be adaptable

As I mentioned before, things don’t always go the way they are planned. Being open-minded to situations, events, people, food, etc. only makes the experience better! There was not one activity I said no to while I was abroad. I said yes to every weekend trip, night out, and day adventure. I wanted to leave the country with no regrets or “what ifs.” I took this home with me. Throughout my senior year, I have been saying yes to almost everything. Of course, balance and time management is most important, but so is making memories.

About myself

This experience taught me so many things about myself. I am so much more independent, confident, directionally intelligent, and culturally aware than I was before. Getting thrown into exploring all of these exciting and terrifying things by myself was some of the most challenging moments for me post-COVID. Ultimately, though, they were also the most rewarding.

I am truly grateful for the opportunities I had when I was abroad. Putting myself in uncomfortable situations was the most terrifying step I have taken, especially as someone who has had travel and safety anxiety my entire life. As scary as it was, I felt and continue to feel rewarded and more confident in myself. Not to be cliche, but I can confidently state that going abroad completely changed my life.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Haley LaKind

U Mass Amherst '23

Haley LaKind is a junior Communication and Journalism double major on the Public Relations Track. She enjoys writing biweekly articles for Her Campus as well as running the chapter instagram page @hcumassamherst. Her hobbies include exercise, travel, journaling, and spending time with friends and family. At UMass she is also involved with UMass CHAARG and the Public Relations Club.