5 One Word Texts That Drive Us Crazy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You hear the ding of your text message tone and eagerly unlock your home screen to find nothing other than the One Word Text. Your jaw undoubtedly drops, eyes roll and a harsh Are you kidding me?” slips from your lips. They come in all shapes and sizes, but one thing is certain: when you get them, you’re pissedDance Moms‘ Abby Lee Miller vents with us.

1. You send a long thoughtful “hello” to a friend you haven’t seen a while, maybe a “Hey! How are ya?” or a “Hi! I miss you so much!” You hear the ding…

“hi”

Really?! You haven’t seen them in weeks, maybe months, and all they can muster is “hi”? You wait an hour (at least) to respond. They clearly aren’t interested, so neither are you. 

2. You’re texting your crush and cracking jokes, I mean, laying it on thick. You like bantering with them and, for the most part, they seem to like it too. You hear the ding…

“haha”

Ouch. So, do they really think you’re funny, or…? You start to panic, asking yourself if that was a signal to zip your blabbering lips. You tell yourself all hope is lost and delete their number. 

3. It takes you about six attempts to get the wording right before you press send. You’re texting your best friend after a rough argument, seeing if everything is alright. You hear the ding…

“yup”

Now you know, without a doubt, that everything clearly isn’t alright. Clearly. At all. You feel bad, and then realize: you’re the one who apologized. Fine, you think, be that way.

4. It’s Friday night and you are so ready for a night out. You send your friend paragraphs of emojis and exclamation points, asking her what she has planned for the night. You hear the ding… 

“idk”

Please, of course she knows! Oh my god, you think, is she just not telling me? You text everyone else in your address book and pray that someone else knows what the plans are.

5. You text your significant other to tell them you’re going to be a little late for your dinner reservations; getting ready, as always, took longer than expected. You hear the ding…

“k.”

The period! Is that really necessary? A “kk” or “okay” would have sufficed. But, a period? K.? You pick up the hair curler for last minute touch-ups. Now, they can wait.

When you hear that infamous ding and read that dreaded, one word response, remember to keep your cool.

(Even though you really do.)

Brilee Weaver

U Mass Amherst

Brilee is a Journalism and Storytelling double-major from Oxford, Massachusetts.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst