5 New Album Releases To Be Excited For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

1) Kid Cudi: Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon

Release Date: February 25th

If you like: Kanye West, Common, J. Cole

I have so much love for Kid Cudi, but his last album Indicud didn’t even come close to the greatness that was The Man on the Moon albums. This is the album I’m most anxious yet excited for because he’s been quoted for saying that it’s his best work so far. Satellite Flight wasn’t intentional but formed from an EP and a pre-Man on the Moon 3 album. He posted a list on his Twitter of ten tracks but has said there will be more tracks on the album. Also, he created the album cover himself which shows again how well rounded of an artist he is. All in all, Cudi is a great artist whose lyrics are rooted in honesty and has proven to be liked by many different people, but will this album be just as good as the Man on the Moon albums? Let’s hope so. 

2) Mø: No Mythologies to Follow

Release Date: March 10th

If you like: Grimes, Poliça, Lana Del Rey 

Love the song “Dear Boy” by Avicii from his hit album True? Well then you’ve heard of Mø! The Danish singer has appeared on hit tracks for both Avicii and Diplo. Her songs include different elements of pop, electronica, R&B, and alternative music. Her soulful voice is perfect for just chillin’ with friends or even studying. Two of the singles off the 21 track album have been released; “Never Wanna Know” and “Don’t Wanna Dance” – both are incredibly catchy. It’s her first album and she might take some time to grow on you but she’s definitely someone who is up and coming and has the potential for being a big artist. (Fun Fact: Her name? It means “maiden” or “virgin” in Danish.)

3) Ed Sheeran: Unknown Album Name

Release Date: (Supposedly) February 17th

If you like: John Mayer, Ben Howard, Frank Turner

Love the song “The A Team”? Then prepare yourself for more… Ed Sheeran’s last album + which featured tracks like “Lego House” and “Give Me Love,” was a huge hit that I personally couldn’t get enough of. No one knows any details about the album except there’s a song called “Photograph,” Pharrell and Taylor Swift have helped him out a lot, and he’s also been working with the rapper The Game. His Twitter and Instagram all hint at things like the potential album name but he has admitted to being intentionally mysterious because he knows how big his fan base is online. (Fun Fact: His cat “Graham the Kitten” has a Twitter with over 89 thousand followers and it’s hysterical.) 

4) Schoolboy Q: Oxymoron

Release Date: February 25th

If you like: Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Dr. Dre

My expectation for Schoolboy Q’s album “Oxymoron” is that it’s going to be one of the best rap albums of the year. The two overall themes are about his struggle providing for his daughter by dealing oxycodone and the history of the famous LA gang Crips since 1996. One of his main goals with this album is to portray the real un-cut Los Angeles, one that we’re not exposed to. The first single was released almost a year ago called “Yay Yay” but the lead single is called “Collard Greens” which features Kendrick Lamar and it’s wonderfully catchy (my favorite song so far). There’s also the fourth single which was released recently called, “Break the Bank” in which he raps “tell Kendrick move from the throne, I came for it” (oh snap). The 15 track album shows appearances by A$AP Rocky, Danny Brown, J. Cole, 2 Chainz, 50 Cent, Tyler the Creator,  and the Black Hippy group (hip hop group from Southern California composed of Ab-Soul, Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar). So the album combines veterans and rookies of hip-hop, which means there’s going to be a lot of variety in song styles. Schoolboy Q calls himself a real “gangsta rapper,” so if you’re into older hip-hop like 2Pac and Dr. Dre then this album is definitely for you.  

5) The Fray: Helios

Release Date: February 25th

If you like: Five For Fighting, One Republic, Counting Crows

Who doesn’t love at least one song by The Fray? You’ve most definitely heard their past hits like “Over My Head (Cable Car),” “How to Save a Life,” or “You Found Me.” The 11 track album, Helios is due to be released the 25th of February (same day as Oxymoron). The lead single which was released in October is called “Love Don’t Die” which is very upbeat and rocky, a sound that isn’t typical from their past hits. The second single “Hurricane” is more like The Fray you’re used to which isn’t a bad thing at all. I expect a few hits from this album that will most likely end up on an episode of Grey’s Anatomy (The producers of the show really love The Fray). 

I would just like to apologize in advance to my neighbors when I’m blasting these albums. Hopefully this will be me: 

Sources: 1, 2, 3.

Photo Sources: 123456.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst