sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Lessons We Can Learn From Sex and the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Sex and the City, a guilty pleasure for so many, is a show that follows the lives of four women (three of whom are in their mid-30s, and one of whom is in her 40s). The show covers the social issues of sexuality, promiscuity, femininity, and friendship. While Sex and the City, the original series, has been out of production for 10 years now, women everywhere are still constantly watching re-runs of the show because its lessons are timeless. The topics covered in the show are relatable to all women. Here are the top 5 lessons we can learn from the romantic sitcom:

1. Don’t Fall For The Emotionally Unavailable Man

No matter what they do, women always seem to fall for the man who is emotionally unavailable, and Carrie Bradshaw, from Sex and the City, is no exception.  Women, like Carrie, often invest so much time and energy into men who often aren’t even capable of being in a real, committed relationship.  While women may feel that they can be the one to change these men, it does not usually work like that. Women need to realize that they deserve someone who is going to devote as much time and energy on them as they would.

2. The Mistakes We Make Lead To Our Fate

In Sex and the City, Carrie wonders if making a mistake could actually allow you to miss your fate. Instead of thinking this way, though, we should realize that maybe the mistakes we make actually help lead us to our fate. Everything happens for a reason in this world. If we didn’t make the mistakes we did in life, we might have never fallen in love, we may have never become friends with our best friends, and we certainly would not be who we are today. Everything we go through in life teaches us a lesson and helps to shape us into the person we were meant to be.

3. “Maybe Some Women Aren’t Meant To Be Tamed. Maybe They Just Need To Run Free Until They Find Someone Just As Wild To Run With Them.

While many people may think that women just sit around waiting for the right man to come along, this is just not the case. Women are busy people, too. We have our own lives and have so much to think about and do during the day. All women want to find love, but trying to find love doesn’t mean that we have to put our lives on hold in order for us to find it. When the right person comes along, we’ll know, and if it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.

4. “They Say Nothing Lasts Forever, Dreams Change, Trends Come and Go, But Friendships Never Go Out Of Style.

While the women on Sex and the City go through so much throughout the series, they show that you can’t get through anything without the support of your best friends. We all need a group of gals who will be there for us to pick up the pieces when our lives seem to be falling apart. We all need a group of girls who are more than willing to lend an ear and a shoulder to cry on when we have no one else we feel we can turn to.

5. “Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.

These are some of the wisest words Carrie Bradshaw shares on Sex and the City.  Carrie knows that we’re all going to date many different kinds of people in our lifetime.  The most important thing to keep in mind, though, is that we will never truly be happy in a relationship unless we are happy with ourselves. As the saying goes, “You must love yourself before you can love anyone else.” If the person you’re into doesn’t love every single crazy, weird, and amazing thing about you, they’re not even worth it.

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst