5 Gift Ideas for Your Boyfriend This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Even though Halloween seems like it was yesterday, the holiday season is creeping up on us! Even if you don’t feel ready to get into the holiday spirit just yet (cut to me, pre-setting the holiday music station on my car radio), it’s a good idea to make sure you get ahead on your holiday shopping. Waiting too late means paying extra for expedited shipping, worrying gifts won’t arrive on time, going to the store and finding things out of stock, and all kinds of unnecessary stress we don’t need, when we could be relaxing by the fire with our hot chocolate instead. So, stop that from happening in the first place, and find some inspo on what to get your boyfriend for the holidays!

1. Something Personalized

I think that getting your boyfriend a personalized gift shows that you put an extra bit of thought into it. It also helps make the gift that much more special because he knows there’s nothing else exactly like it anywhere else. A personalized gift I bought for my boyfriend is a monogrammed, wooden guitar pick. If your boyfriend is into jewelry, consider getting him a chain or ring with his initials on it, or if he’s artistic, maybe a nice instrument strap or camera strap with his name on it.

2. something “nerdy”

We tend to stereotype what qualifies as “nerdy” in a negative way, but I think everyone has an interest they get extra nerdy about. Giving your boyfriend something related to an area he’s really interested in shows that you listen to him and want to give him something he’ll actually enjoy. As seen by the guitar pick, my boyfriend loves the guitar, so I got him an AirPods cover shaped like a Fender amp for his birthday this year. If your boyfriend likes gaming, try to find a customized controller or some new games he’s been wanting to try. No matter what it is your boyfriend is into, you can definitely find something related to it that he can use.

3. Something for Self-Care

Men’s self-care gets so overlooked, especially considering how much more popular it is becoming among women. Getting your boyfriend something he can use to take care of himself shows that you want him to get to treat himself, and that he deserves to value himself. My boyfriend has a pretty long beard, so this year I’m probably going to get him a kit with beard-care equipment (don’t worry, I already warned him not to read this article!). Maybe your boyfriend has really great hair, so you could get him a nice hair care set. Or, maybe he’s an athlete who’s always on his feet, and you could get him a pedicure set.

4. Something decorative

Let’s be honest: lots of guys have rooms that are pretty… under-decorated. So, consider getting him things that he can decorate with! My boyfriend had a blank space on his wall, so I got him a poster with guitar chords and scales on it. If his walls are empty, get him something to cover them with, like college merch or movie posters. If his laptop is blank, you could get him a themed collection of stickers.

element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

5. something he can use forever

I think that the best part about gifts is when you get to use them over and over, and they remind you of the person who gave them to you. I got a new pair of winter boots from my mom last year, and I think of her every time I put them on. Last year, I customized a new sweatshirt for my boyfriend and embroidered my initial into the cuff. If your boyfriend has been talking about how he lost his favorite water bottle or how his headphones broke, that’s a good place to start. But make sure you balance getting something useful with getting something he will really enjoy and be excited about.

Now, this isn’t a definitive list by far. Maybe your boyfriend is the kind of person who prefers something homemade to something purchased, or prefers an experience rather than a material item. Maybe you get him something small, but you boost up the presentation and throw in a bunch of candy. But whatever your boyfriend asks for and whatever your budget is, as long as your present shows you care about him, you listen, and you know his likes and dislikes, he’ll love it no matter what. Happy holidays!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Alessandra Amore

U Mass Amherst '23

Alessandra is a junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is majoring in Public Health and is on the Pre-Med track, and is in the accelerated MPH program in epidemiology. She also plays trumpet in the UMass Minuteman Marching Band. She loves baking, her cat, and a good episode of Gilmore Girls.