Life > Academics

5 of the Best Ways to Get the Most Out of Your First Semester, According to College Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you realize it before move-in day or not, going to college is a huge adjustment. I checked in with freshmen in their second semester and asked what they wish they knew before the fall semester started. They seemed to agree that these are the five best ways to start off your college career smoothly!

Find a Balance

During your first semester, your life will most likely feel out of whack. Balancing every aspect of your life is a difficult task, especially during such a harsh transitional period. One student mentioned her initial struggle to incorporate physical activity into her busy schedule. She said: “I felt like in my free time I was just studying and doing work and was not finding time to move my body and do things I enjoy.” Now, she makes time to go to the gym with friends and have fun. Chances are, you’re not going to master a healthy balance right away. Probably not even after your first semester. Remember to be kind to yourself; these things don’t always come easy!

Practice Time Management

A common issue that students seem to have is setting aside enough time to study and do work. The best way to combat this is to stay on top of your work! Keep track of what is due when, and get it done as soon as possible! Use a calendar, or keep a to-do list to stay organized and avoid forgetting deadlines. Two of the six students I spoke with mentioned that time management was difficult at first, but since using a planner or a calendar to write out a schedule, it is no longer an issue.

Have an Open Mind

Going into school, remember that every new student is in the same boat. Being social in the first few weeks of school is very important because of this! One student noted, “Everyone is new and most likely feeling just as nervous as you are, so it’ll help you and them to be social.” Nobody has established a real group of friends yet. This makes it a great time to talk to new people and make some friends! Keep your mind open to doing new things too, like joining a club, studying with a new friend, or taking a class at the Rec Center. These are all great ways to meet new people, find a new hobby, and establish connections.

Make Studying a Habit

No matter how well you did in high school, learn ways to study that help you. College is not the same; it is generally much more demanding, and sooner or later you will have a big exam or final that you’ll have to study for. Knowing how to do so is very important. I myself did not have to study often in high school and struggled to study for my cumulative chemistry final — which I did not do great on. Make sure that you have a plan for each test you have to study for. Whether it’s using flashcards, making an online study set, rewriting your notes, or going to review sessions, just know yourself and know what approaches work best for you.

Save your Money

Living independently for the first time is scary, especially when having a job may not be an option. Learning to save where you can and finding little ways to earn money can be a real challenge when moving into college. “You’re not going to understand how valuable money is until you become your own independent consumer and have to buy groceries and pay bills,” one of the students I interviewed mentioned. These things add up quickly, especially when you aren’t working! When possible, find a job, even if it’s on campus and you only get three-hour shifts. It’s better than nothing! At home, try to find a job that you can come back to on your breaks before you move out. In the meantime, save your money!

Transitioning from high school is a challenging, confusing, and overwhelming time for almost everybody. Being able to figure out what you struggle with in the beginning and knowing how to approach a solution is vital for a successful academic year. Take it from these new students, who all struggled in their own ways, but all survived their first semester!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Ava Cichonski

U Mass Amherst '26

Ava Cichonski is a freshman at UMass Amherst studying nutrition. She loves to work out, crochet, and watch Rick and Morty in her free time.