Life > Experiences

4 Things To Do This Fall in Western Massachusetts

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The best part about living in Western Massachusetts during the school year is the fall season. Surrounded by trees and so much nature, Western Mass begins to look so beautiful and autumnal as the leaves start to change colors and the surrounding towns come alive again as college students are back in town. Here are some things to do this fall season in Amherst and the surrounding area.

Hiking

There are so many great mountain ranges in the area. Sugarloaf Mountain has some great trails, and you can also drive up to the top. The mountain looks so beautiful with all the different colored trees and the views are stunning. Mount Tom in Holyoke is also a great hiking spot, and Mount Holyoke in Amherst also has some nice trails. There are tons of natury spots for casual walks, hikes, bike rides, or drives all over Western Massachusetts.

Apple Picking

This fall, my friends and I went apple picking at Quonquont Farm in Whately, MA. It was a lovely fall day and they had tons of apples to pick from. The farm had four different types of apples, and then other apple products and vegetables in their storefront. We spent almost two hours in the field, picking apples and walking around the farm. And if you enjoy hard cider, there are several places around, such as Carr’s Ciderhouse, where you can sit outside and sip on some cider made on the farm.

Farmer’s Markets

My favorite part of Western Mass is all the fresh produce and homemade, local products we get here. Because there is so much farmland here, we’re able to get so many fruits and vegetables from the local farms. In the fall, there are so many farmer’s markets around the area, including one that happens every Friday on the UMass campus. There’s also a farmers market in the center of Amherst on Saturdays until mid-November, and others scattered around the other towns. So many local businesses attend these markets and you can always find fresh foods and so many unique items. 

Fairs

Until October, the Big E was up and running in Springfield. The Big E is a huge fair with tons of fair foods, rides, shops, and other activities. Tickets to enter were 20 dollars, but it’s a fun time to spend with friends walking around, playing games, and trying different foods and drinks. During Halloween, Six Flags puts together Fright Fest, where there are haunted houses, rides and other exhibits. There are also other smaller fall fairs occurring throughout the season as well.

So, here are some fun things to do this spooky season. Western Mass is the best place to enjoy the change in seasons and embrace all the wonderful things the fall has to offer!

Riti Jain

U Mass Amherst '24

Riti is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Economics and Communication. She has a passion for the arts, media, culture, and politics. When she's not writing for Her Campus or studying for classes, you can find her dancing, taking photos, or reading the other amazing Her Campus articles.