4 Books About Science that Even Non-STEM Majors Will Love – I Promise!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

A lot of people think that learning about science is just memorizing the names of lots of enzymes from a textbook. I get it – if you had a boring teacher or weren’t interested in learning that the mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell, you might not be interested in science. But science, when explained in a clear and fun way, can be incredibly interesting. Whether you’re a science major or someone who dislikes science, I guarantee there’s a STEM-related book out there for you. Here’s a list of four books that you might enjoy and learn from.

Woman Wearing Brown Shirt Carrying Black Leather Bag on Front of Library Books
Abby Chung
Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Although this book was published in 2008, it’s one of my favorites, and I think it’s still very relevant today. Bad Science debunks a variety of topics, ranging from skincare products and detoxes to fraudulent medical treatments. Ben Goldacre writes in a clear, accessible way that anyone can understand, and his writing style is sarcastic and humorous, which makes this an easy, fun read.

laptop coding
Photo by Christopher Gower from Unsplash
Humans are Underrated by Geoff Colvin

We’ve all had that subconscious fear that computers are going to take over the world, and Geoff Colvin addresses this fear in Humans are Underrated. I was honestly amazed by how much computers can do, such as beating world champions at chess and grading papers. However, rather than saying that technology is going to ruin our lives and take our jobs, this book focuses on why humans will still be valuable in the future. Although we might not be able to beat computers at math, we have our own unique skill set. If you’re interested in technology, or human psychology, you’ll enjoy this book.

Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of An American Family by Robert Kolker

Hidden Valley Road tells the story of a large American family that seems like any other average family until six of the twelve children are diagnosed with schizophrenia. The story focuses on understanding each member of the family and how schizophrenia impacts each of their lives, both the children who are diagnosed and the children who watch their siblings struggle with their mental health. There are some chapters about research into schizophrenia throughout the book, but overall, the focus is on how medicine and disease affects the family.

poetry book & tea
Pexels
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

I was never a big fan of history in high school because I could never figure out how all the different events of the past fit together. Sapiens is the perfect book for anyone who wants a broad overview of world history to see how we as humans ended up where we are. This book is a combination of social science and history; it skips over the little details like memorizing dates and locations, and instead focuses on telling a story about humankind.

While these books are a few of my personal favorites, there’s so many awesome books about every topic within science, from genetics to sociology to environmental science. There’s a book for everyone, so get outside your literary comfort zone and read something new!

Allison Brookhart

U Mass Amherst '23

Ally Brookhart is a senior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is majoring in biochemistry and is interested how science interacts with society. Ally enjoys exploring new places, reading, working out, and playing volleyball.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst