4 Artists Who Embody Femininity in Their Own Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Women in the music industry are under constant scrutiny by the media, record executives, and the world at large. Since the establishment of music as a pillar of the entertainment business, many female artists have been told to act a certain way in order to please audiences and have had to tone down the elements of themselves they care to share with fans.

Here are four artists who have rejected Hollywood’s conventions for women and navigate their careers the way that they want to. 

1. Megan thee stallion

It’s no secret that Megan Thee Stallion focuses on sex as a central topic in her songs. With her meteoric rise to fame in the last couple of years, largely due to the impact of social media platforms such as TikTok, her messages have spoken to a large community. Her ideas of body positivity and openness surrounding the typically taboo concept of sex in her songs have had an impact on those who listen to her music, without a doubt. Her femininity shows in her bold lyrics that do not shy away from showcasing her status as a strong and confident woman. She offers other women a role model for how not to mind the manner in which society says women should behave and to be bold in whatever they do.

2. Taylor swift

Swift has a storied career spanning over 15 years, encompassing several genres and eras. Regardless of how one feels about her controversial reputation or involvement in celebrity drama, it is indisputable that she has spoken to a wide audience. Her ability to paint a picture of the sadness women often experience and willingness to feel her feelings in such a public space is compelling to other women who go through the same trials. Her songs show a side that many women hide in order to avoid fitting into stereotypical gender norms of “emotional” women. They teach listeners not to conceal their pain through catchy tunes and masterful lyricism that exhibit why she has been such a pillar of popular culture in the last two decades. 

3. Lizzo

Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Finding mainstream success with hits like “Juice,” “Truth Hurts,” and more, Lizzo has become somewhat of a fixture in the pop world. Not only does she have the utmost self-confidence, but she also sings about it and shows it off at every turn. She does not let society define her worth in any arena and actively calls out the judgments society is prone to making about women. Her TikTok account is hilarious and shows fans how not to get bogged down by expectations and how to love themselves. Lizzo is not only a great talent, but someone to applaud for her strides in body positivity and for women in general.

4. Phoebe Bridgers

A newer artist with only two albums out, Bridgers has been gaining popularity recently and is a great example of demonstrating femininity in a non-traditional sense. Her music is largely centered around her own experiences struggling with mental health, a topic that many women do not speak openly about, but touches the lives of many women, nonetheless. Being comfortable enough to bring up her past bouts of depression and hopelessness with life is a prevalent skill of Bridgers’ and one that makes her message resonate so strongly with fans. Her overall message of struggling with identity in today’s world can be related universally to women. I highly recommend giving her a listen if you’re in need of a good cry or an existential crisis.

If you haven’t already, make sure to check out some of the music put out by these lovely ladies, and let their empowering messages carry you through your week. You just might find yourself feeling liberated by their lyrics and proud to be a woman.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Erin Diskin

U Mass Amherst '23

Erin is a Junior Psychology and Sociology double major at UMass Amherst who enjoys embroidery, exercise, and being in nature.