Career

3 Spooky Mistakes to Avoid When Writing a Personal Statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In the spirit of Halloween, this article discusses three frightening mistakes to avoid when writing a personal statement.

Personal Statements — we know them, maybe even fear them, but we need them. Most students will eventually be required to write a personal statement, such as when applying for an academic program or fellowship. Personal statements help create a better picture of who you are in a way that a resume cannot. Due to the unique nature of personal statements, do not be hesitant to let your personality shine through in your writing.

Personal statements are not, and should not, be academic papers. Instead, you should view them as your employer or selection committee’s first introduction to you. Think of the personal statement as sliding into the DMs of your hiring committee with the subsequent goal of the “first date,” or the interview. This is your opportunity to describe your accomplishments, passions, ambitions, and challenges, as well as how you overcame them. I will not delve into the specifics of how to write a personal statement, but below are some mistakes you should avoid.

Don’t Be Afraid to brag about your academic achievements

Humility is a value that has been drilled into us from a young age; we’re often taught that bragging is impolite and irritating. Of course, these perspectives have their places, but they have no place in the competitive world of professional and academic applications. In most cases, the person sitting across from you in an interview or reading your personal statement is a total stranger who will know nothing about you or your achievements unless you tell them. Although it may seem uncomfortable, it is in your best interest to become your biggest advocate and cheerleader when applying for future job opportunities.

Be authentic (Don’t catfish your future employers!)

Because the personal statement is an opportunity to show future employers who you are, it goes without saying that you should actually show them who you are. Keep in mind that you should share your own story rather than write about what you think they want to read. You should definitely spell-check and a little help from a thesaurus won’t hurt, but don’t professionally catfish your employers — a grandiose embellishment of your achievements will only haunt you in the long run. It’s important to be the same person at the interview that you are on paper and in the office.

Don’t Be the only one to proofread your work

Before submitting your application, have a few others read through it, whether they’re close friends or family members. Having a fresh pair of eyes (or six!) can alert you to grammatical errors and weird phrasing that you may overlook.

Although this article has ended, spooky season and the world of resumes and cover letters are just getting started. Fear not — you aren’t alone. Academic advisors, peer advisors, and staff at the UMass Writing Center are eager to meet with you to help shape your writing and make it the best it can be.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Konah Brownell

U Mass Amherst '23

Konah is a Political Science and Journalism major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She cares deeply about issues relating to race, gender, immigration, education, and the environment. Outside of Her Campus, Konah enjoys writing poetry and runs a poetry account on Instagram @sunflower.seed.s_