3 Major Reasons Why Chivalry Is On Its Way To Extinction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

“Chivalry is dead” seems to be a common statement in today’s society. But why exactly is this, and who is to blame? While many women are quick to accuse men for this change, women themselves may, in fact, play a part. 

1.  We Live In A Hook-Up Culture

There’s no getting around it, we live in a hook-up culture. As college students, even more so. We go out, we party, we meet new people, and, on occasion, we have some casual sex. While a couple decades ago, it was unheard of to take part in pre-marital sex, according to a recent study conducted by the Public Health Rep, 95% of people in the U.S have reported having sex before marriage. This shows an incredible change in our society’s views. By giving ourselves up at an earlier age may be contributing to the decline in chivalry that men show.

2. Technology and the Objectification of Women

In a world of constant texting, which makes your typical booty-call a whole lot easier, and new apps like Tinder, which allow users to click through other users’ profiles and hit “yes” or “no” if interested in the person (solely based on photos), women are allowing themselves to, in a way, be objectified by men. They are saying that it is okay to be judged based on physical appearance alone. While women may not realize what they are doing, they are letting men off the hook when it comes to performing chivalrous behavior, allowing themselves to be seen purely as “just a pretty face.”

3. Equal Rights For Women

Not only is the objectification that women are allowing men to take part in leading to the decline of chivalry, but so too is the increasing equality that women are gaining in our society. Over the past few decades, women have shown that they are capable of being independent and self-reliant. Women have both tried and succeeded in showing the world that they are able to perform the same tasks as men and are able to provide for themselves. Because of this, men have felt less of a need to act like Prince Charming, and have felt more of a need to act like our equals.

While some of us collegiettes still wish that we could find that knight in shining armor to sweep us off our feet and take care of all of our problems, that idea is just not a reality anymore. While we may be expected to have a job in order to help support our future family and while we might still be expected to clean the dishes after dinner, we are now, more than ever before, seen as men’s equals.

If your boyfriend still follows some of the old courting traditions like asking you out first, paying for your dinner, opening the car door for you, or bringing you flowers, don’t let him go! He’s about as chivalrous as they come nowadays.

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst