Fruity Drinks
Fruity Drinks
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

3 Fruity Drink Recipes for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s finally spring! It’s getting warmer, making dressing up way easier, and what better way to enjoy this weather than with cooling fruity drinks. These are some of the drinks I make myself when I was back home to Myanmar as well because it’s always super-hot there. So, you can say I’m kinda experienced ;). Let’s get into it.

Note: All measurements are based on one serving.

Fruity soda

The most basic drink without the need for blenders and other tools would be this one.

You’ll need:

• base drink: Sprite
  • 2-4 tablespoons of any citrusy fruit or berries (in this drink I used kiwi, but where I took inspo from used blueberries)
  • sugar to taste

Steps:

1. Mash the fruits in a bowl until straw-drinkable consistency.
  2. Add sugar to the mashed fruit to taste.
  3. Pack the mixture on the bottom of your glass.
  4. Add any amount of ice
  5. Slowly pour the sprite into the glass

FB26AB75 C136 449E 97E0 3CD841DFD75DIMG 3292

smoothie, but make it personal

The next drink is for anyone who just likes to blend things together and get it over with. What makes this different from other smoothies is that I use flavored yogurt to add extra flavor. I also add chia seeds in my smoothies for more texture in the drink.

You’ll need:

• 5 tablespoons of any berry of choice (I’m using kiwi for this again, yes I am obsessed!)
  • 3 tablespoons of bananas (you can do 1:1 with the berries, but I don’t really like it if it gets too thiccc)
  • 200-300 ml of fruit yogurt DRINK of choice (I’m using the strawberry yogurt drink from Dutch Mill)
  • 1 tablespoon of chia seeds

Again, the consistency of the yogurt you add just depends on how thick you want your drink to be. I just tend to use the kind of yogurt we can drink with a straw because we’re making a drink and not a smoothie bowl.

Steps:

1. Soak chia seeds in water (It usually takes around 7 mins for them to fully expand)
  2. Add all the fruits into the blender, follow with ice and yogurt and blend till smooth (Chunky bananas in smoothies are not it :|)
  3. Pack chia seeds at the bottom of the glass and add in the blended fruit and yogurt
  4. Don’t forget to decorate it with some leftover berries!

IMG 3290IMG 3285

strawberry Yakult refresher

Last but not least, my go-to drink because my fridge is almost always equipped with Yakult. For those of you who don’t know, Yakult is a Japanese yogurt drink with a citrusy flavor. It’s very light in consistency and people often add fruits, soju, or just drink it on its own. You can easily find it in Asian grocery stores.

You’ll need:

• 2 bottles of Yakult (they are 80ml a bottle so…)
  • 1 scoop (like an ice cream scoop) of frozen Strawberry puree
  • 1-2 fresh strawberries for texture
  • lemon juice to taste
  • sugar to taste

Steps:

1. Put the scoop of frozen strawberry puree into the blender (I use the puree because the color looks better than smooshed strawberries)
  2. Add Yakult and some ice into the blender and blend
  3. Pour into glass and add cut up strawberries for texture and decor

You can also add fruit tea or green tea to the drink to amp it up.

STRAWBERRY YAKULT FRUIT TEA

Try these drinks out because they are easy to make, do not take up much time, and go really well with the spring season!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Yuki Thane

U Mass Amherst '23

Yuki is a junior at UMass Amherst majoring in Informatics and Communication. Playing instruments, singing, taking pictures, writing and sketching are some things she does when she's not 6ft under readings and assignments. Anyone can find her power-walking on campus at any time jamming to BTS.