3 Book Recommendations for Those Who Want To Reignite Their Passion for Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I am the type of person who enjoys reading for pleasure, but never sets aside the time to do so. I tell myself that if I was less busy I would read more, but that statement doesn’t hold to be true. It seems that I don’t have time to read, but I have time to scroll through social media. Once I bring myself to start a new book, I find that I can fully immerse myself into it, which distracts me from outside stress. Although it can be hard to find the time or the motivation to read, reading can be an invigorating and rewarding experience. Here are some books that I would recommend to those who want to start reading more for pleasure.

1.) My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult 

This is my favorite book of all time. In the book, there is a young girl, Kate, who has leukemia. The parents find out that she might die unless she receives a bone marrow implant, however, no one in the family is a match. The parents decide to have another daughter, Anna, who is conceived with the help of scientists to ensure that she will be a perfect genetic match for Kate. As a child, Anna faces many procedures to help keep Kate alive. As she grows older, Anna decides that she no longer wants to donate parts of her body to her sister, so she files for medical emancipation despite her parents’ wishes. The ending of the novel is completely unexpected, and the narration alternates between all of the main characters throughout each chapter which makes for an interesting read.

hMEBL1EXIFAeP5M9gyUji62LkpN 30bC9 HAhtYQ9P54hw1PM oEke9VWJIl1wY2OJrzStGeDZCMljRd

2.) The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards

David and his wife Nora have twins: a healthy boy who they name Paul, and a girl named Phoebe who unexpectedly was born with down syndrome. David realizes that there will be a lot of medical and social obstacles that Phoebe will face, and he gives Phoebe to the nurse who helped to deliver her and asks her to keep it a secret from his wife. He tells his wife that although they had twins, the girl died during birth. The novel follows the lives of both the nurse and Phoebe, and the lives of David, Nora, and Paul as the children grow up. They cross paths later in the novel, making for a heart-wrenching story. 

3.) Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 

Upon being abandoned by her family at a young age, Kya grows up alone in the swamps of North Carolina. The audience watches her learn how to read and write, as well as be self-sufficient while living in a hidden shack in the woods. As she grows older, we are introduced to different characters that have lasting impacts on her life and her future. Simultaneously, the police in her town are investigating a murder that she may be connected to. The novel is fast-paced and ends with an unanticipated discovery.

F KWurR603CbGu dsjQYqT3OFA8vRmKMuV3yBXk aVGXWrkKGZ2V3m4v6qLds08dobbEwUxIUjPKW2mUTFqxgJ8zGtN6T5T7nm4ukIgQ6RxxT5ISaJF 3JFB33Hju98WEf50zDPG

Hopefully you can set some time aside to read some of these great novels!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Serena Chiasson

U Mass Amherst '24

Serena is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying biomedical engineering.