This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Music has been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember. As I’m getting older, I tend to reflect a lot about who I was when I first heard an album, or when I first got into a band, or when I used to be obsessed with a song. Reflecting on my time in college so far, here are three albums that I know I will always associate with my time here at UMass Amherst.

Harry’s House

Harry’s House by Harry Styles was released on May 20, 2022, right after the end of my sophomore year of college. I remember listening to this album for the first time really clearly. I can tell you exactly where I was and exactly how I was feeling at the time. I could do the same thing for Harry’s other two albums as well. I have always said that Harry’s music has been a huge marker in my life. I have been a big fan of his since One Direction was first formed in 2010, and I still am over 10 years later.  This album is definitely one of the biggest defining albums of my college experience so far simply because it was put out by Harry Styles. I love how I can look back and think about how my life has changed since his last album was released, and I know I will be looking back on my college experience and how I was when Harry’s House came out when his next album drops, too.

side by side

Side By Side is an EP by The Baxbys. It was released Nov. 18, 2022. The Baxbys are a local band whose members actually go to UMass. I first discovered The Baxbys during my sophomore year of college when I went to a party they were performing at. Another really defining part of my college experience is my time spent watching live music. I always say that these small concerts, whether they be in someone’s basement, a backyard, or a local music venue, are what I pictured when I thought of “college parties” before I actually began to attend college. Some of my favorite nights so far have been accompanied by a band playing in the background. I love how music creates a community here at such a big school, and I am looking forward to shows to come in my last few semesters here.

currents

Currents by Tame Impala was released on July 17, 2015. Although I was not in college during this time, I can say with certainty that this album has been a defining part of my time in college so far. Although Tame Impala is a pretty popular artist, this album represents me starting to really get into a more alternative genre of music. I started listening to Tame Impala and this album in particular the summer before I started college. They’ve been in my Top 5 “Most Listened To” artists every year since.

I think my music taste in general is a huge part of my identity in college. I love discussing music with others and listening to new music whenever possible. When I look back at my four years at UMass, I know that I will have so many memories attached to these albums. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Brynn Geary

U Mass Amherst '24

Brynn is a senior and a communication and sociology major at UMass Amherst. Aside from writing, Brynn spends most of her time dancing, going to concerts and searching for the perfect iced oat milk latte.