15 Stages of Picking Your Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We fully realize the promise that is Halloween looming over our action-packed college lives. As the countdown gets lower and the days get colder, we begin to feel more than the sudden urge to drink a pumpkin spice latte. The impending panic attacks that will soon accompany the biggest and most important decision of the season set in. That’s right—we’re talking costumes. To guide you through the emotional rollercoster you are about to set out on, a list has been diligently compiled of the 15 stages of picking your Halloween costume. So just sit back, try to relax, and remember: you’re not alone.

1. Taking notes on potential ideas throughout the year

2. Scrolling through every social media outlet you can think of in search for inspiration

3. Making an aesthetic board with all of your inspiration

4. Attempting to come up with a group costume plan

5. Fighting over group costume ideas in the group chat

6. Finally coming to a conclusion

7. Doing everything you can to keep up the squad morale after your heated debate

8. Finalizing your list but realizing you have no original costumes

9. Having a minor panic attack when your bestie steals your “one-of-a-kind” Harley Quinn idea

10. Rallying the troops for the annual field trip to the closest Halloween store

11. Realizing that the day before Halloween is WAY too late to hit the racks

12. Fighting with strangers over the last Catwoman mask

13. Scouring the internet for last minute makeup tutorials and ideas

14. Eventually just settling on an old costume from the year before

15. But then you remember that your costume doesn’t actually matter because:

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Paige Herer

U Mass Amherst

Paige Herer is a junior at Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and political science with a minor in international studies with hopes of pursuing a a career in PR after graduation. Her business aspirations include but are not limited to becoming Olivia Pope. She has a passion for reading, drinking coffee, long car rides, and scrolling through online blogs for hours. When Paige isn't being ridiculously productive you can find her walking aimlessly around campus trying to figure out how to operate her DSLR camera, or in her tiny dorm room marathoning any and every John Hughes movie.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst