etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15 Quick Ways to Improve Your Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I am the pinnacle of “not a morning person,” so I know that sometimes if you wake up in a bad mood, it continues throughout the day. Other times you get a bad grade back on the exam that you studied a week for, and the rest of the day is ruined. So many things can drag you down from the day-to-day but here are some quick mood perk-up ideas to help you get through it!

1. Find the Nearest Bed

So often college students don’t get enough sleep, and this will usually make a bad day, worse. A nap can be like a restart to the day.

2. Text a Good Friend

If you need to talk about why you’re feeling bad, text one of your close friends. Getting it all out could make you feel a lot better.

3. Call Your Mom

Parents usually know just what to say to make us feel better.

4. Listen to Upbeat Music

It’s important not to perpetuate your bad mood with angry or sad music. Choose something upbeat and happy.

5. Watch a Movie

Movies are a great way to escape the world for a little while, and choosing a silly or funny one might get you to lighten up.

6. Eat Something You Love

Sometimes I need a little chocolate. It’s just necessary. Have your favorite treat and try to unwind.

7. Plan for the Future

Keeping up with class work can sometimes feel like an interminable process. Make a plan for something you can look forward to like going out to eat with your friends or seeing a concert. It’s important to have something exciting in the near future.

8. Write it Down

Every morning when I walk to class a list of everything I have to get done runs through my head. I immediately start stressing. Then it gets worse because I’m worried about forgetting to do something. Writing it all down so you can see your “to-dos” will settle your mind and give you steps to getting everything completed.

9. Send Some Flirty Texts

If you are just feeling down on yourself, boost your confidence by talking to that special someone you’ve had your eye on.

10. Find Your Fun-Friend

I have one friend that is almost always in a good mood. She’s goofy and bubbly and I’m thankful to know her because she can always make me laugh. If you know someone like this, try to spend a little time with them. They’ll eradicate your bad mood for sure.

11. Get some exercise

Channeling out frustrations through exercise is a cathartic release that has the added benefit of fitness.

12. Look at Cute Pics of Animals

This may sound frivolous but looking at an adorable puppy’s face could make you feel a little bit better. How can you stay in a bad mood looking at that?

13. Retail Therapy

There is nothing like the feeling of buying new clothes. Online or at the mall, shopping can be a fun way to get your mind off of things and you have a new outfit to wear!

14. Take a Drive

Taking a long drive to clear your head and get some space.

15. Get your Nails Done

Going with some friends to your favorite nail salon could be a quick way to cheer up and get pampered.

Stay calm and carry on, Collegiettes!

Meredith Brady

U Mass Amherst

Hi!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst