10 Tips and Tricks for the Lazy (and Hungry) College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Between classes, schoolwork, and spending time with friends, it’s really difficult to find time to do anything else, let alone spending time making fancy or expensive meals. It gets even worse because when you have time, it’s tough to actually work up the effort to go and cook something. If any of you are like me, more meals that you’re willing to admit consist of something along the lines of wheat thins and hummus. Even though it seems like cooking a meal could be tough, especially once it gets later in the semester, there are actually a lot of ways to make really tasty meals super easily (and also pretty cost effectively).

1. Crockpots

I remember at home when my mom would make meals in the morning, put them in the crockpot, and then when we came back at night, they would be all ready. Crockpots are pretty cheap (and if you live in the dorm they sell individual size ones). There are recipes for soups and other meals that basically consist of putting all the ingredients together and turning on the switch! Try looking on Pinterest or even just a google search and you’ll find a ton of super easy and really tasty recipes!

2. Literally any type of cooked eggs

Eggs are one of those foods that taste great no matter how you make them. Buying a dozen eggs will last a while and are a pretty solid thing to eat, especially if you are in a rush. To make things even quicker, buy some fresh vegetables, cut them up, and put them in the freezer. Grab some and put them in the pan to cook before you start up with your eggs, and you can make a super quick omelet or egg scramble.

3. Stir fry

Stir fries are super great to make because they doesn’t require anything specific. You can make one with pretty much anything you want and it will probably taste pretty good. You can use any type of vegetable or meat that you like (tofu/meat alternatives also taste great) and cook it in a big pan with whatever kind of sauce you like- using things like soy sauce, teriyaki, oyster and hoisen in different combinations will make it taste fantastic. Even though it’s expensive up front, buying the rice and sauce in bulk will last you so long, it will be more cost effective in the long run. Also, rice is one of those foods that goes great with literally anything you make, so it’s basically a win-win

4. Freezer meals

This one involves a little more preparation, but creating meals in bulk and freezing them can save you a lot of time when you aren’t actually feeling like cooking a meal. This is another option where you can find tons of yummy meals to try on Pinterest or Google!

5. Smoothies

Smoothies are another meal replacement that really don’t involve intense recipes to follow. As long as you have a blender, you’re ready to go. You can use water and ice (almost always accessible) or if you want you can switch to milk to make it a little thicker and sweeter. Also, if you buy a couple bags of frozen fruit, which last a lot longer and will stay good even if you forget that you have them for a little while, you can use any combination to create your own smoothie! Here is a list of really awesome smoothie recipes to try, and also some grocery stores sell fruit medleys that are already in great combinations for smoothies.

6. Salads

As long as you have some lettuce and vegetables, you can make a salad. It’s another one of those things that’s always open up to interpretation and variations. You can either keep your favorite dressing in your fridge, or make some with a little bit of oil and vinegar. Use any kind of vegetable, or even add some fruit, cheese, or nuts on top to make it more filling and add a little bit of a twist to just a basic garden salad.

7. Oatmeal

Oatmeal is another great go-to meal, especially if you’re running late for class and need something super quick. When I lived in a dorm room, I used my Keurig to pour hot water in my jar full of dry oats. By the time I had my things together and was heading out, they were ready to eat! You can get a bulk container for pretty cheap, and add your own fruit or yogurt for a great taste. If that’s too much work, then they also sell pre-made varieties with different fruits and flavors.

8. Mug recipes

There are so many recipes that have been made so that you can just microwave an individual portion in a microwave. Whether you’re in the mood for something sweet, like brownies, or an actual meal, like mac and cheese, there is definitely something for you.

9. Make coffee the night before

This isn’t really for a meal, but I’ve found this to be really helpful in the morning. I usually wake up with just enough time to get ready and go. If I wake up earlier than that, I usually want to spend my time making myself look decent, and not spend time on making coffee. If you make a pot at night, you can mix it with whatever you usually drink your coffee with, and leave it in the fridge overnight. When you wake up in the morning, all you have to do is put it in a cup and you have coffee all ready!

10. Explore Online

There are so many blogs and websites that are devoted to recipes for the poor and lazy college student. Some of them aim more towards healthy choices while others just focus on being as cost effective as possible. Try here or here to find some of each!

Source: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst