Someone Great Netflix
Someone Great Netflix
Netflix
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

At a time when women are infamously left out of award shows, streaming platforms have allowed female-directed films to reach a wider audience than ever before. Here are the best movies to stream while procrastinating watching your Zoom lectures:

Mamma Mia

Where to watch: Hulu, Sling TV, Starz, Cinemax

An iconic movie that has inspired Halloween costumes for decades (and now TikTok dances), Mamma Mia is a must see classic. The movie, starring Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried, was directed by Phyllidia Lloyd, who directed the original broadway musical. Come for the catchy ABBA hits and stay for the gorgeous Greek setting.

Lady Bird

Where to watch: Netflix

When a movie has a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, you know it’s going to be good. Greta Gerwig’s solo directorial debut, Lady Bird, stars Saoirse Ronan as Lady Bird, a high school senior who is applying to college and discovering herself. Plus, another incentive to watch – Timothee Chalamet makes an appearance as her love interest.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Directed by Céline Sciamma, Portrait of a Lady on Fire was the first film directed by a woman to win the Queer Palm at the Cannes Film Festival, and also won the award for Best Screenplay. The stunning historical drama centers on an aristocrat and the painter commissioned to paint her portrait, and a love affair ensues. The film was a huge audience success; it is a must-see for lovers of French cinema.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Where to watch: Netflix

Imagine accidentally texting a paragraph declaring your love to each of your past crushes – To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before takes this to the extreme and follows Lara Jean, as her personal love letters are accidentally mailed. Arguably the best example of a Netflix rom-com, director Susan Johnson brought the popular teen novel to life and catapulted Noah Centineo to fame.

13TH

Where to watch: Free on YouTube

13th, directed by Ava DuVernay, is a powerful documentary focused on racial inequality and mass incarceration. The award winning film details the intersection between race and criminal justice, and will change your entire view on America’s prison system. Once available only on Netflix, the documentary was made free to watch on YouTube, and is a must-see.

Always Be My Maybe

Where to watch: Netflix

Starring the hilarious Ali Wong and Randall Park, Always Be My Maybe is not your average rom-com. Childhood best friends Sasha and Marcus haven’t spoken for 15 years and have wildly different lives, but their reunion is heartwarming and entertaining to watch. Plus, Keanu Reeves makes the cameo of the century.

Someone Great

Where to watch: Netflix

Someone Great stars Gina Rodriguez as Jenny Young, a journalist who is dumped by her long-term boyfriend and then embarks on an adventure with her best friends. The ultimate feel good break-up movie, Someone Great was directed by Jennifer Kaytin Robinson, who also co-wrote the new series Unpregnant on HBO.

The Edge of Seventeen

Where to watch: Hulu, Sling TV

The Edge of Seventeen is a witty coming of age film that follows Hailee Steinfeld as high-schooler Nadine, whose best friend starts dating her brother. Also featuring Woody Harrelson as her sarcastic history teacher, the film was Kelly Fremon Craig’s directorial debut.

Bird Box

Where to watch: Netflix

This film sparked countless memes and was watched by almost 26 million people the first week it was released at the end of 2018. Bird Box stars Sandra Bullock in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by creatures that kill you as soon as you look at them. Susanne Bier’s captivating horror film will have you on the edge of your seat (and if you’re like me, maybe watching from behind a blanket).

The Parent Trap

Where to watch: Disney+

Although Disney is infamous for its lack of female directors, The Parent Trap is one of the only female-directed movies on Disney+. Starring a young Lindsay Lohan as twins Annie and Hallie, the movie directed by Nancy Meyers follows the twins as they switch identities and trick their parents into reuniting. Watching The Parent Trap was a staple at sleepovers when I was younger, and is a comforting classic.

Happy watching!

Katherine Dickey

U Mass Amherst '24

Katherine Dickey is currently an environmental conservation major at UMass and is interested in education, film, and sustainability. Outside of school, Katherine loves playing piano, making vegetarian food, and spending time outside at the beach. She is super excited to be a member of CHAARG, PITCH, and Her Campus at UMass!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst