Yoga vs. Pilates: Which One Is For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Many young gym goers are often confused about differences between the two popular mind and body disciplines of yoga and pilates. It’s time to set the record straight UMaine.

While there are several similarities due to pilates being created by an avid yoga participant, pilates focuses on core strength, body awareness, body control, and flexibility.  Practicing pilates could be very beneficial for individuals with muscular imbalances or postural issues, due to it’s ability to strengthen core muscles, untouched by your typical work out. 

Yoga on the other hand, focuses strictly on body awareness flexibility and lubrication of the joints, ligaments and tendons. A big difference you will notice in a yoga class, as to a pilates class, is the connection between body and mind.  The practice of yoga includes mediation and a relaxation of the mind unlike any other kind of fitness practice.

Both practices are a great option for injury prevention or rehabilitating an injury.  Yoga and Pilates will help create a strong core that can aid in every day activities and relieve aches and pains in several situations. Whether you are more of a yogi or a pilates go-er, is all dependant on whether you are looking for a relaxing spiritual work out (yoga) or a tempo-ed invigorating core workout.

Looking for a relaxing stretch?  Try Gentle Yoga at the Campus Recreation and Fitness center.  Want to work your core while still focusing on breathing and mental relaxation?  Fitness Yoga is for you. And those seeking some serious core stabilization and concentration on body control and awareness should try out Core Pilates!

Interested in learning more about yoga or pilates? UMaine offers classes for academic credit in both topics!  DAN 270: Pilates Conditioning and Functional Anatomy and DAN 297: Introductory Topics in Dance (Yoga) are offered as a free elective to all students at the Universityof Maine.  Be sure to sign up quick, because the classes fill up fast!

Happy stretching!

Images from Fox News and Lulu Lemon Athletica

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.