This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Dear Kim K Haters, 

While I understand the sentiment of those who might lack the same fascination for pop culture as I, I urge you to take a step back and try to reconstruct your opinion on this iconic social media star. If I could ask you wipe your memory of how she came into her fame and fortune, (no, I am not talking about how her late father defended OJ Simpson in court– yes, I am referring to the leaked sex tape) and please try to form an unbiased notion on Kimberly. Looking past the extensive plastic surgery and infamous BBL, (“Brazilian Butt Lift”), there’s a loving mother, a supportive sister, a devoted (now ex-) wife, and a newly-accredited law student.

Kim has been in the spotlight since 2000, when she was the assistant of Paris Hilton. Many hardcore fans don’t know just how hard she hustled doing odd jobs, and how she was once a closet organizer to the stars before she became an A-List celebrity herself. Following the OJ trial, Kim accumulated a lot of attention. This then led to Paris finally allowing Kim to be seen as her on-screen best friend on Hilton’s reality TV show, The Simple Life. Soon thereafter, the middle Kardashian sister held the title as a socialite as well. In 2007 the tape hit the internet… It wasn’t until she had all eyes on her, when she started to alter her appearance due to the heightened commentary on her face and body from the public.

There is no shortage of slander about the Kardashian/Jenner family on the internet. The paparazzi are on a constant witch-hunt to catch them with no makeup, resulting in hateful comments calling them ugly. It’s the same treatment if they post a heavily filtered picture. They’ll just be bashed for “false advertisement” on the internet, or for being a “catfish.” They really can’t win. Simply being alive warrants unsolicited comments, insults, and opinions on their appearances. For over a decade they have been the victim of the media’s favorite past-time, making the Kardashians the family you love to hate. 

So it’s no wonder they try so hard to keep up their image as these perfect people, even though they have proved that to be next to impossible to achieve. It makes you think, and almost sympathize with Kim for what she’s gone through all these years. Sure, she and her family are among the 1% and live like royalty, but we have to remember that they’re still human with valid feelings. Don’t you remember what happened to Princess Diana? 

If you extensively research her life, as I have, you would find that Kim Kardashian is among one of the least shallow celebrities you’ll come across. As mentioned before, she is recently divorced and is now going through a custody battle with her ex-husband Kanye West. She has handled this situation so graciously, keeping his name out of the press while he deals with his mental health issues and while still attending his events honoring her wedding vows. Her four children are of the utmost importance to her and she’s spoken out about how she plans to keep their lives as normal as possible during this separation. This is quite the task, being that their parents are two of the most famous people in the world. Juggling a wildly exploited divorce and children, during a pandemic nonetheless, it’s astonishing that she passed the bar exam to become a lawyer all in the same year.

Kim took the baby bar exam exactly four times before passing; although she did have an incredibly expensive tutor, you have to give her some credit for not giving up. She’s told the press that following her father’s footsteps in becoming a lawyer is one of her biggest goals in life. In the process of getting her degree, she has already obtained a legal apprenticeship that has allowed her to advocate for prisoners to shorten their life sentences for non-violent drug crimes. She has since acquitted three women of their charges! Using her power for good is one of her most redeemable qualities, one that could even sway the biggest hater. 

The world can bash Kim Kardashian till the end of time for being uberly rich, but now that you know she’s secretly a decent human being, wouldn’t you rather aim your disapproval towards a more deserving celebrity like Jake Gyllenhaal? Doesn’t it make you almost want to be… a fan? 

On top of all that, she’s dating PETE DAVIDSON. So if even that doesn’t sway you, you must be a lost cause. 

Cordially yours,

Corin Proctor (A.K.A. KKW Super Fan)

Corin Proctor

U Maine '23

Hey, I'm Corin! I am a junior at UMaine, and a journalism major. When I’m not writing for my personal blog, you can find my advice / opinion articles on here.