This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Carrie

By Maria NeCastro of http://girlwiththemovieblog.blogspot.com/

Based on Stephen King’s 1974 novel, Carrie, this movie remake is the perfect thing to watch to get in the Halloween spirit.  

In the Oct. 18 release, Chloë Grace Moretz plays the role of the timid and telekinetic 17-year-old Carrie White, originally played by Sissy Spacek in the 1976 version.  Carrie is a character shaped by her mother’s religious beliefs and fears of the outside world.  

It was her mother, Margaret White, played by Julianne Moore, who really brought the scary to this film for the first two-thirds.  From self mutilation to throwing her daughter into a closet under the stairs (think Harry Potter) to pray, Margaret takes the word nutjob to a whole new level.  

In the midst of the struggles of adolescence, Carrie is bullied by her classmates and finds herself befriending the gym teacher who defended her when the harassment went from bad to worse.  The gym teacher, played by Judy Greer (of Archer and Arrested Development) adds the slight touch of humor and realistic human compassion that any successful film needs.  

What makes the film just weird enough to resemble the cult classic, 1976 version is the way Carrie is different from everyone else.  No, not because she was home schooled; because she’s telekinetic.  In the film’s culmination, the “hottest” guy in the school takes her to prom.  She acts skeptical for most of the night as to why such a popular person would want to take her.  Her skepticism, it turns out, was not unwarranted, as the bullies of the school pull a prank that turns her from an innocent girl to a witch-like murderess.  

The special effects in this film that involve Carrie’s telekinesis are nothing special, but they’re certainly good enough to make the audience a bit nervous for everyone at the prom.    

While Chloë Grace Moretz‘s talent was better used playing Hit-Girl in Kick-Ass, she proved to audiences that she is more skilled at playing an awkward teenager than Kristen Stewart in Twilight (not that it’s much of a competition). 

To be honest, this film isn’t going to win any prestigious awards or be as well known as the original, but it’s fun if you’re in the mood for a horror-revenge flick.

Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.