Weekly Workout Advice: The Best Stretches!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Stretch, Stretch, Stretch! 

Stretching is an integral part of fitness. Here are some dynamic stretches that will reduce your risk of injury, relieve back pain, and boost your performance at the gym! Complete this stretches twice a week and feel the difference!

PLIE REACH

STRETCHES: INNER & OUTER THIGHS, ARMS, SHOULDERS & BACK
Stand with feet wide, toes turned out, and raise arms overhead.
Squat deep and lower arms in front of you, elbows touching knees and palms facing forward. Pull right shoulder back as you raise right arm [shown], then twist in opposite direction raising left arm. Ride up to starting position. Do 8 reps.

LOW LUNGE
STRETCHES: LEGS, BUTT, AND BACK
Lunge forward with left leg until thigh is parallel to floor, and place hands on floor on either side of left foot.
Raise left arm straight up toward ceiling as you rotate left shoulder back [shown].
Lower hand to starting position, and move into next stretch (active pigeon).

ACTIVE PIGEON
STRETCHES: HIP FLEXORS, BUTT, AND ABS
Pull left kneein toward right hand, then lower left leg to floor so foot is below right hip.
Lower hips as you push through hands, lifting head and chest [shown]. From this position, move into the next stretch (down-dog extension).

DOWN DOG EXTENSION
STRETCHES: BACK, LEGS, AND SHOULDERS
Push hips up as you extend left leg behind you and press right heel down [shown].
Pull left knee in toward chest and lower into a lunge again to complete 1 rep.
Do 8 reps of the entire sequence.

WRAP AROUND
STRETCHES: NECK AND SHOULDERS
Stand with feet hip-width apart and reach right arm behind your back, palm facing away from you.
Clasp hands and pull left elbow back as you draw shoulder bladestogether.
Hold as you circle head slowly [shown] to complete 1 rep. Do 8 reps.

TAKE A BOW
STRETCHES: SHOULDERS, LEGS, CHEST, AND BACK
Stand with feet wide, left foot turned out, and rotate torso to the left.
Clasp hands behind you with palms together and arms extended.
Bend forward from hips until back is parallel to floor as you raise arms [shown]. Slowly rise up to starting position. Do 8 reps. 

photo credit: google images