Career

University of Maine Career Center Offering New Peer Advising Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The University of Maine’s Career Center is reinstating the Peer Advising program! The Career Center is an office and resource on campus that is dedicated to helping students in any way possible with their career readiness and preparation. Some services provided include resume reviews, cover letter reviews, internship searching, career exploration, mock interviews and interview coaching, and professional networking opportunities.

The Peer Advisor program is an initiative the Career Center is hoping will gain momentum this semester. Peer advisors will provide direct career related and professional development related support and services to students from a peer’s perspective. If a student wants to talk about their career documents with an advisor they can relate to, they should consider talking to a peer advisor who is probably going through similar experiences around the same time as them.

It is not a problem if you don’t have anything started yet as well. Students can come in with a blank document, and Peer Advisors would be more than happy to help start from scratch. The advisors will work as a team on how best to
communicate with students and help them in a way that will be the most beneficial to the individual. Peer Advisors will conduct walk-in hours for students on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12 pm to 2 pm this semester, as well as doing some tabling, hosting programs, and giving presentations as soon as possible.

Stop by the career center on the third floor of the Memorial Union to work with an advisor who understands exactly what you are going through.

I am a Senior at the University of Maine. I'm an English major with a concentration in technical/professional writing and a minor in creative writing. I am interested in learning about different kinds of people and in being creative in any way I can!
Brianna Lemarier is a writer for the University of Maine chapter. She writes on topics that apply to students in different ways, including some specific to the University of Maine. Brianna is a Peer Advisor at UMaine's Career Center where she conducts resume and cover letter review appointments and workshops with students. She is a senior in the English major with a concentration in professional writing and a minor in creative writing. Brianna is passionate about stories and many forms of writing. She is content when she can read and drink coffee every single day. She believes in the power of communication to connect people and help them to understand each other and create a better world together. Instagram: @briannalemarier