Cameron Smith-City Skyline Detroit Michigan Girl Overalls Street Buildings Skyscrapers 1
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Top Seven Places You NEED to Visit in Boston This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Going home to Massachusetts this Spring Break means a lot of day trips into Boston and having lived only twenty minutes away from the city my entire life, I’ve begun to consider myself a bit of a local. Whether it’s exploring the seaport or window shopping the Prudential Center, I have compiled a pretty solid list of the must-see places when you visit the City of Champions and I’ve decided to share it. So if you find yourself in Boston this Spring Break, here are my top seven places you NEED to visit.

1. Frog Pond in the Boston Commons

While it may be Spring Break, March in Massachusetts doesn’t always have sunny skies and warm weather. Since there is still a bit of chill in the air without it being freezing cold, it’s the perfect time to hit up the Commons which is where you will find Frog Pond featuring the best outdoor skating rink in the U.S. according to USA Today. The rink sits in the middle of the scenic commons and is surrounded by city lights and historic monuments and at only $6 for admission and $12 for skate rentals, this iconic Boston location is well worth the visit. Also, all college students can get half off admission with their student ID from 6-9pm every Tuesday giving you every reason to stop by, skate and sip on some hot cocoa!

2. The New England Aquarium

If you prefer to stay indoors this Spring Break, the New England Aquarium is a must-see. Explore the various exhibits that they have to offer, like their touch tanks or the Giant Ocean Tank that reaches up to four floors. The aquarium also offers various behind-the-scene tours and whale watching that get you up close and personal with aquatic animals. If you prefer to just sit back and watch, you could also visit the Simmons Theater where they offer a variety of feature films about nature and the animals within it. The aquarium also offers college discounts with $2 off an admission or movie ticket with a valid college ID. 

3. Museum of Science

Another great place to stop by is the Museum of Science – this museum features exciting exhibits, live shows, IMAX movies, and planetarium shows making it the perfect place for a day trip as you won’t run out of activities to partake in and things to see. Admission is slightly pricier at $29 for adults but I promise, it is well worth it. Even if science isn’t necessarily your thing, this museum makes science fun with exhibits that feature life-size models of dinosaurs, a live butterfly garden and so much more. This museum is perfect for all ages and has an exhibit for everyone and if you do find yourself at the MOS, be sure to stop at some of my favorite exhibits like Science in the Park and The Light House.

4. Newbury Street

If you’re in the mood to shop, Newbury Street is a must – located in the Back Bay, Newbury Street is packed with shops for apparel, accessories, beauty, art and more. Additionally, it features a variety of restaurants and cafes for you to stop in for a bite in between stops – my personal favorite being Shake Shack. You are guaranteed to find something on Newbury Street, whether it’s a cheesy souvenir for a friend or a little something for yourself. With eight blocks worth of shops and dining, Newbury Street is a great place to spend the day with friends or family.

5. The North End

If you’re in the mood for Italian food then the North End is the only place to go. Often called Boston’s “Little Italy,” the North End features historic sites, restaurants and small shops and no matter where you go in the North End, you are bound to find some amazing Italian dishes. Of course, you have to follow up dinner with dessert so be sure to stop at places like Mike’s Pastry or Modern Pastry (which I personally think is superior) to get a cannoli. The North End also has walking and food tours to explore these historic streets giving you the perfect opportunity to burn all those calories from the amazing Italian food and desserts you’ll consume. 

6. Faneuil Hall 

Just up the street from the North End is historic Faneuil Hall – this marketplace has shopping, dining and is often filled with street performers so you can’t go wrong stopping by here. Faneuil Hall is a great place to start your Boston trip, placing you right by the Waterfront and Downtown Crossing, two areas packed with plenty of things to do. It also has a variety of outdoor activities for you to enjoy while you dine or shop and some of my favorite places to eat include Wagamama, for some good noodles, or the iconic Cheers restaurant, where everyone knows your name. 

7. Play Tourist for the Day

If you’re looking to get the full Boston experience, play tourist for the day! Boston offers a variety of tours to show off all that the city has to offer. The iconic Duck Tours take you around the city of Boston both on land and in water, visiting places like the Charles River, Theater District, TD Garden and much more. If you are interested in Boston’s history, take a walk along the Freedom Trail and learn about the colonial history sites that the city has to offer. There are tours of Boston that suit a variety of interests from bar crawls to photo walks to food tours so there is bound to be one that caters to your interests!

If you find yourself in Massachusetts this Spring Break, or anytime during the year, be sure to make a trip into Boston and visit one or all of these places – this city truly has something for anyone and everyone. Whether you want to learn more about the city, spend the day shopping, try some new restaurants or visit a museum, Boston is the place to go!

Senior Communication and Media Studies double major with a minor in Professional Writing at the University of Maine. I’m also the President of Women's Club Volleyball, Vice President of the my school's chapter of the National Communication Honor Society Lambda Pi Eta, and Sergeant at Arms for Umaine Student Government.