Top 10 Tips to Nail Your Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

1. Dress for Success

I cannot stress this enough. A good first impression can make or break your job interview. I am not saying you need to wear a five hundred collar pantsuit for your interview at a pizza shop but do dress formally. My mother always told me that if you wouldn’t be able to wear it to church don’t wear it to an interview. A nice dress or dress pants will more than suffice, dressing professionally will not only make you feel confident but it will make your future employer take you seriously.

2. Practice Makes Perfect

Look up some commonly asked interview questions and be ready for them. Think about what job you are applying for and what they are looking for for that position. If it is a delivery driver what is your driving record like, if it is a cook what is your experience things like that. And be prepared to answer why do you want this job? I have been asked this in every interview i’ve ever been in and i guarantee you will be too.

3. Ask Questions!

Employers love when people are enthusiastic and curious about their business and it is important to show this. Even if you would rather die than work the drive thru it’s great to act like it’s your dream job. I’m not saying hype up the business like crazy but act like you want it.

4. Don’t Ask About Pay

Oh my God please do not do this, it’s a major no no and comes off very greedy and rude. Talk pay once you have the job not before.

5. Find Common Ground

Treat the interview like a conversation, they just wanna get to know you and you should try to get to know them. If you are able to find a similar interest or hobby run with it. Setting a conversationalist tone is key to making a lasting impression.

6. Avoid the “Um”

I have fallen victim to this bad habit but it is so important you try to break it. Employer’s know you won’t know the exact answer to every question off of the top of your head but saying um doesn’t help the situation whatsoever. It won’t make or break your interview but it’s just one thing that is better to avoid. Instead try taking a deep breath in and out to prepare to answer.

7. Do Your Research! 

Find out what the company or business is passionate about and mention it when the time is right. If your pizza place donates to the homeless shelters mention it, it will show you care about the job and appreciate what they are doing

8. Be on Time

I can’t stress punctuality enough. You should show up at leave ten minutes if not fifteen minutes early for your interview. Being on time to the interview shows you will be on time for your shifts. If you are late to an interview it’s a major red flag.

9. Clean Up Your Social Media

Employers do check this so be careful. Just make sure you don’t have any posts about partying or drugs. If you seriously can’t bare to clean up your feed just private everything, be weary if your employer adds you later though!

10. Follow Up

Be sure to contact the person who interviewed thanking them for your time. It is best to just shoot them a quick thank you email to let them know you appreciate them taking the time to speak with you. This is not only courteous but a great way to be remembered!

Photos: 1, 2, 3

Emma is a junior at the University of Maine at Orono. She double majors in sociology and political science and is minoring in law and legal studies. In her free time, Emma loves to go fishing, snowmobile, kayak, read, sew and explore the great state of Maine! Instagram: @empooler
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.