The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media
Culture > News

Texas, Teachers, and Textbooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

In July of 2021, a bill was passed in Texas regarding subjects surrounding race, gender, and history in the classroom. This law is commonly referred to as the state’s “critical race theory law.” To provide a little bit of background, critical race theory covers the idea that racism isn’t just due to the prejudice present within individual people. It states that racism is embedded in our government and its legal systems, and continues to affect citizens now. So, how does this law affect that theory and how— or if—it gets taught? Let’s take a peek and see. 

This bill covers a range of topics discussing what teachers are required to teach and restricted from discussing. One portion of this bill steers teachers away from discussing current event topics surrounding race, gender, or other controversial topics. All in all, it suggests that it is better off if they don’t teach controversial topics at all. It then goes on to add that if they do choose to teach topics that fall under that umbrella, opposing opinions must be taught as well. Educators must show absolutely no bias. Another section discusses the fact that teachers cannot teach students that one race is better than others, that discrimination based on sex or race is allowed, or that any races are to blame for historic events or should feel guilty for them. Next, it adds that teachers are no longer required to be trained on racial and gender related issues in the classroom.

Through certain perspectives, a few portions of this bill seem like a reasonable idea. No students should be taught that someone is different or better because of their race, and no one should feel guilty for the actions of someone else. Furthermore, avoiding bias in schools is a good idea, right? In reality, though, this bill is causing confusion and disarray in Texas schools and their curricula. One school in particular is arguing over the idea that varying opinions on the Holocaust must be presented under this new law. This bill is disguising the fact that teachers are now being discouraged from discussing racial issues, whether it be current events or from the past. At what point is teaching racial issues too biased? How can you offer differing opinions on portions of history that are widely known as an inherent tragedy? Moreover, by removing the requirement that teachers be trained on handling issues regarding race and gender in the classroom, it further discourages that conversation. This bill is going to effectively stifle progress in Texas students’ understanding of racism and prejudice within our country.  

These changes will obviously have a detrimental effect on the citizens and students in Texas, but how will they cause a shift in other parts of the country? For one, Texas is not the only state to pass a bill like this. Multiple other states, like Oklahoma and Tennessee, have similar bills that have already been passed. Even more states are lined up and preparing attempts to do the same. With Texas, one of the largest and most populated states in the country, allowing these changes to be enacted, more states will very likely follow suit by example. 

A second issue is that of textbook publication. In the past, Texas played a detrimental part in what textbook companies included within their books. The size and population of Texas once again had a large influence here. Texas has a lot of students, so they buy a lot of textbooks. Recently, textbook companies have begun customizing their books to varying states more frequently, but Texas’s influence still remains. If Texas won’t allow specific topics to be taught in their schools, then schools throughout the country are in danger of that phenomenon reaching them. 

Maintaining an unbiased classroom without censoring our country’s history and current issues is a very fine line to walk. Laws like these are growing ever closer to crossing that line. Discouraging and barring teachers from informing students on important issues such as race and gender may stop certain students from feeling guilt, but it could have a detrimental effect on our country’s continuing fight with racism and inequality.

My name is Brooke Howlett and I'm an education major at the University of Maine. I have a passion for reading, people, writing, stars, and learning new things.