Sunless Doesn’t Have to Mean Tanless

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The first of October has come and passed. The days are getting shorter and that means the sun is not out as long as the summer months.  Summer is most certainly gone, and the brisk air of fall is setting in.  Tanning is a necessary accessory to most ladies. Some will tan to help clear up their skin, look thinner, hide blemishes, or to look better, overall. I mean, who doesn’t look better with a nice tan? Fall is here and finding alternatives to brighten your glow without having to pull out the beach towels and bikinis will be easier with these tips. 

1. Tanning Beds-
This is one of the easiest ways to tan, but big mistakes can be made if you don’t do it properly.  One of the biggest things that everyone tends to over look is not using the right protective eyewear.  Tanning goggles are a cheap investment that will prevent you from harming your eyes, or even worse, going blind.  Tanning lotion or even sunscreens are must have’s when using a tanning bed or booth.  As we all heard, excessive tanning will heighten your chances with skin cancer.  And that brings us to the next point; make sure you only tan accordingly to your skin type.  And if you don’t know what your skin type is, then ask your tanning consultant.

• Skin Type I- Burns usually, Hardly Tans
  • Skin Type II- Burns easily, Light Tan
  • Skin Type III- Burns Moderately, Tans Progressively
  • Skin Type IV- Burns Minimally, Tans Dark
  • Skin Type V- Hardly Burns, Very Dark Tan
  • Skin Type VI- Burns Under Extreme Exposure, Naturally Very Dark

2. Bronzer and Self-Tanners-
These are great products for the sunless months and DON’T run the risk of skin cancer.  But achieving the perfect tan while using bronzers and self-tanners are not an easy task.  It can come out streaky and stain areas that you don’t want to be tan… whoops.  Here are some tips that would surely help-

• Before using the self-tanners you should always test them first to know that you aren’t allergic to the ingredient. Apply a small amount on the surface of your skin, like the inside of your wrist. This will also let you know what the end results would look like before applying it all over. 
  • Exfoliation and moisturizing is key to getting the perfect tone that you want.  Take a shower before applying your bronzer; use a loofah or a washcloth to gently exfoliate. This will get rid of the dirt and dead skin off of you.  Moisturize your skin directly after you get out of the shower, because the self-tanners will stay better and won’t wash off as easily if your skin is moisturized. 
  • While applying the self tanner, try to use smaller amounts and use downward, fanning strokes for better results.

**Remember that your knees and elbows will come out darker so don’t use as much on those areas.If it is still streaky, after you’re all done, use a little bit of your regular lotion and rub it in. 

3. Spray Tans– This process is for those who don’t want to use the UV beds or use self-tanners on themselves.  Spray tans are good for those who have fair skin and are easily burnt when they are overexposed in the sun.  Instead of worrying how much color you got from your last tan. You can pick how dark you want to be. The biggest perk is that it doesn’t damage your skin.  You can ask the tanning salon that you are a part of if they use plant base sprays.  It’s not like tanning in the sun or the tanning beds, but it can give you the same great color.  Even though you can get as dark as you want, make sure that you only go 1 or 2 shades darker because you don’t want to come out looking like an Oompa Loompa or a different ethnicity!!

So Remember:

• Tanning is great if it’s done correctly, so lets try to not kill ourselves when we do it.  
  • Make sure you remove your make-up.  Protect your lips with a lip balm, because they can’t produce melanin.
  •  Again, WEAR your eyewear while tanning. 
  • If you are burnt, then wait till the redness is completely gone. 
  • Wait at least 24 hours after your initial tan before going again.  If you have a skin condition then don’t do it!! 
  • And most of all, don’t OVERDO it!!!

Photos Credits: Google images