Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Spicy Sad & Spicy Sex Combine: The Effect and Some Solutions to Having Sex on SSRIs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

When life gets overwhelming and you have depression, there is nothing wrong with taking medication to reduce these feelings. SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) can be prescribed to help treat depression and anxiety. Currently, there are eight SSRIs with FDA approval in the United States; Celexa, Lexapro, Prozac, Luvox, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, and Trintellix. However, all drugs have their list of side effects and SSRIs are no exception. In a study conducted by the National Institution of Health, 40%-65% of people on SSRIs reported a significantly reduced sex drive, problems with arousal, maintaining arousal, and climaxing.  It was also reported in the same study that 41.7% of men and 15.4% of women discontinued their use of SSRIs due to issues in their sex life. Sex and masturbation are important for maintaining a healthy body and mind, and problems regarding sex shouldn’t be overlooked.

It seems like there is no winning with SSRIs. Either you sacrifice your sex life to not be sad, or be depressed but have lots of sexy time. Fortunately, no one is alone in this dilemma which has resulted in a plethora of tools to help get the best of both worlds. Here are some popular ones that you can try.    

Explore yourself.

Just because what used to work for you isn’t satisfying anymore doesn’t mean nothing works. The solution could come from creating a different rhythm. Find some time to set the mood and spend some quality time getting familiar with yourself.

Focus less on reaching climax and more on pleasurable feelings.

Putting too much pressure on reaching the Big O can prevent you from getting there. Focus on the journey rather than worrying about getting from point A to point B.

Add toys!

If you aren’t already, try using some sex toys. Vibrators, dildos, butt plugs, and many other toys help to increase pleasure. Plus, people get tired, toys don’t. They can go all night long to help you get to where you want to go.

Lube. Lube. Lube!

Never underestimate the power of a good lubricant. Lube helps to get things going, keep them going, and all-around create the best of sensations. With a large variety, there is something for everyone. Aside from different bases, there are lubes that can create temperature sensations, different flavors, and even numbing sensations.

Hello! I am a fourth-year anthropology major with an interest in pursuing a career in sexual health & education. When I'm not busy working on homework you can find me outside with my camera taking pretty pictures as a hobby and for the Maine Campus. My interests in anthropology, sex ed., and photography all stem from creating an environment for people of any identity or background to feel safe, loved, and accepted by others and themselves. If there are any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to contact me at antyna.gould@maine.edu