This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Every year, I look forward to putting together my fall playlist and perfectly curating songs that allow me to make the most out of the small things. Walking to class, studying in the library, cooking dinner. Everything’s better with the perfect playlist, especially with music that captures the beauty of the leaves changing, weather getting colder, and finally getting to wear your favorite sweater. 

My first song on my playlist this year is “Autumn Leaves” by Caamp. The name speaks for itself and it was also the song that inspired my playlist for this year. Caamp, a folk trio from Ohio, makes beautiful music that can somehow leave you teary eyed and smiling at the same time. “Autumn Leaves” specifically encapsulates the heartwrenching beauty of lead singer Taylor Meiers’ vocals and, for a lack of better words, the song is just so perfectly fall.

My next fall song recommendation has been on REPEAT the past two weeks. I get into the car to go anywhere and it is the only song I want to listen to. This song in particular was one I had never heard before but when my friend played it in the car with me, right from the very first beat of the song I knew I was gonna love it. The song is called “Gotta Get Away” by Vista Kicks and from the very beginning all the way to the end of the song, I want to get up and just dance. The beat of the song is so catchy and has a perfect indie fall girl kind of vibe. 

This next song you might have heard on TikTok but if not, you will probably love if you’re a fan of Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Gracie Abrams, etc. All those female artists that make you want to just sit in your room and cry because they can describe your feelings so perfectly. It’s time to add Katie Gregson-MacLeod to that list with her new single, “complex(demo).” This song is so heartbreaking and describes so perfectly the feeling of giving your all to someone that you love so deeply but not seeing the same in return. The song hits you right in the heart and if you’re feeling like having a sad girl autumn this year, this song is for you.

The past two falls I have fallen in love over and over again with the band Cigarettes After Sex. It’s hard to suggest just one song from this band because every song they have ever written makes me dissociate from my life and puts me into my own alternate reality. They write about love in a way that is so raw and honest, it is unlike anything I have heard before. But their music is definitely for a certain mood, at least for me. All of their songs are slow and dream-like, perfect for cold, rainy days in the library or late night driving. One of my favorite songs by them is “Sunsetz,” which to me perfectly describes the feeling of nostalgia when you miss the person you love and is also a perfect song for watching a fall sunset. 

My final fall playlist recommendation is Noah Kahan’s newest single, “Northern Attitude.” You might have heard his other recent song, “Stick Season,” which has been by far his most popular release to date. Both songs are perfect songs to scream in the car as you’re driving past orange and red leaves. They also both perfectly embody the beauty of a cold New England fall. I have been a long-time fan of Noah Kahan and I am really excited that his music is getting the recognition it deserves. If you like “Northern Attitude” and “Stick Season,” you should definitely check out his ep Cape Elizabeth. He even has a song called “Maine” which in my opinion, the state of Maine should adopt as our state anthem. 

Although I could go on and on about amazing fall songs for your playlist, those are my top five for this upcoming season. But I do have some honorable mentions I will add: “Close Your Eyes” by The Backseat Lovers (or anything by them!), “Lack of Color” by Death Cab for Cutie, “Insomnia” by the moss, and of course my favorite song to ever exist – “Cigarette Daydreams” by Cage the Elephant. Happy fall listening!
If you wanna check out my playlist, here is the link!

My name is Hope and I am a junior communications and marketing student at the University of Maine. I love music and I have a radio show every week at the UMaine student radio station! I've also been a competitive figure skater since I was 3 and am the vice-president of the figure skating club on campus! For Her Campus I am really excited to write about music and current events!