Sharing Is Caring: Valentine’s Day Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

As Valentines Day comes creeping in, this year think about embracing the holiday instead of cringing over it. With the focus being on a single “special someone” it can become stressful, or discouraging if you are flying solo. Try to think of the holiday as a time to spread your love and appreciation to anyone, and everyone, you come across. A good friend of mine has a tattoo that reads, “Give the love the world forgot to give.” And in the past couple years a trend has caught on, recognizing Valentines Day as a friendship day, to spread love to not only your significant other, but maybe to a person who really needs it, possibly someone you barely know.

The old phrase “sharing is caring” can be a perfect way to incorporate a positive attitude towards Valentine’s Day. All those little actions you think of doing, think about how happy it would make someone, or think about how someone could really use a helping hand. Do it, don’t think, in response to the New Year and a new attitude about celebrating your friendships.

Some people may be familiar with the trend “26 Acts of Kindness”, inspired by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary this past December. The idea being one kind act for every life lost that day in the school. It is these types of ideas that spread like wild fire; people felt invigorated by the good karma and needed to pass on the kindness. Each act serves as a tribute to the life that was cut short and is a positive way to cope with the horrific loss.

The feeling that resonates when you share your love is something that changes people and continues on after your deed is done. So this year think about everyone around you, about sharing kindness and passing that joy along. Valentines Day is about love, not dwelling on the lack-there-of, and the more you give the more you will receive.

Ways to spread the love:

Hold the door open, even if it takes an extra 5 seconds

Send a “thinking of you card”

Say “thank you”

Bake cookies for: loved ones, teachers, friends, mail man, yourself! (etc.)

Hand out classic Valentines Day cards (the ones from elementary school)

Frame a picture of you and your best friend(s)

Eat chocolate (to remind yourself that you love you)

Text your siblings to say, “I love you”

Clean the snow off your neighbor’s car

Pay for someone’s coffee at Dunkin Donuts

Rekindle an old friendship

Make a new friendship!

Don’t let being single stop you from enjoying this valentine’s day just like every other one! Remember, sharing is caring!