Sex Sells: Controversial Ad Campaigns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Sex sells. We all know this and see its presence throughout our daily routines, shopping at the grocery store, on the covers of magazines and on TV. While researching for a recent advertising class, (recommend CMJ380 for all you communications and journalism majors out there!), I started thinking about all those controversial advertising campaigns that use sexuality to attract consumers.  While our society is still a little shy about the taboo topic of sex, it certainly has come a long way since the days of showing a little ankle.

I recently wrote a paper on the semiotic analysis of the SKYY Vodka “Sexy” campaign that launched in the fall of 2010 to numerous controversy and negativity. SKYY has never been one to shy awa
y from using strong sexuality as a strategy to attract its target audience and this campaign is certainly no exception. The success of this campaign intrigued me to pursue other advertisements that used paradigmatic and syntagmatic (using metaphors and storylines to represent specific messages…see you’re already smarter!) codes to attract viewers. Here’s what I found…

1. SKYY Vodka
This 5 part series campaign uses sexual innuendos to define “what sexy is.” With names like “The Package”, “Lip Service”, “Unzipped”, “Iced Down” and “Sexy Legs”, there’s certainly no denying the implications of sexuality within each visual. After stirring much controversy within not only the advertising industry but within our public society as well, SKYY undeniably garnered much attention.
Photo Credit: http://imageworldblog.blogspot.com

2. Eva Mendes for Calvin Klein
Take a peek at these horizontal, greased up shots and you will understand what I mean. Eva Mendes (Can I please be her in my second life!?) and model, Jamie Dornan, have been steaming up the billboards and pages in their Spring 2010 Calvin Klein Jeans campaign. The oiled-up, sandy shots of interwoven body parts appeal to mass audiences and you’ll definitely have a hard time concentrating on the actual product. Did you even notice the jeans?
Photo Credit: www.Stylelist.com

3. Organ Donation
So we see enough nearly-naked women on a day-to-day basis so that’s not really a huge shocker here, but read the fine print. That’s where they really get you…
Photo Credit: http://blog.tafurocommunications.com

4. Dolce & Gabbana Gang Rape
I mean we all know that D&G is infamous for their sexified, controversial naked ads but this one took a step too far. This ad was pulled from the market in 2007 almost immediately after publication due to its gang rape association which is clearly depicted within the image. I mean we all know everyone has a dark fantasy but this one is just too much…hello D&G, every heard of class???
Photo Credit: www.bnet.com

5. Burger King 7”
No words necessary (much like the previous four ads). Is this for real?
Photo Credit: www.eatmedaily.com

Rep Image Photo Credit: www.brusday.com

Shaina Dennis is a senior at the University of Maine majoring in mass communications and double minoring in public relations and business administration. She was born in heels, preferably 5” stilettos, and is a lover of traveling, shopping, cooking, laughing and meeting new people. She is an active sister in the Delta Nu chapter of Alpha Phi and when not obsessing over anything sparkly, Shaina can be found making sushi and taking photos. But don’t let the glitter and pink fool you, this girly-girl drives a stick and can fish for lobster like no other. Although she grew up in a small, rural town, Shaina is a city girl at heart and loves a fast-paced lifestyle of always being on the go!