Sex with Sarah: Summer Loving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Finals are done, school is out, and the streets of Orono have emptied out for the summer. Some of you may be going off to internships, summer camps, summer jobs, or even your first big girl jobs as graduates! Wherever you find yourself this summer, we all know this is the season for loving.

Summer is a great time for a fling, rekindle something with a guy at home, or finding a new relationship.  Because the nights are so hot, it’s that much easier to stay out late and really heat things up. Here are some tips to making the most of your summer when it comes to love and sex. And remember, just like you need SPF to protect you from the sun, you also need condoms to protect you from diseases and pregnancies.

If you go the fling route: Flings are perfect for summer. Summer is all about being free, playing in the sun, and knowing that it will all come to an end come September. I would define a fling as someone you meet out, at the beach, at work, wherever and only have something temporary with. Whether it lasts one night, one weekend, or one week, a fling is short and sweet. Definitely make sure to wear a condom, and if you are someone who tends to get attached after sex, a fling might not be the right fit for you.

If you go the Summer Love route: a summer love is someone who you meet during the summer, fall head over heels for each other, and then for whatever reason have to part ways when it’s tome to start school again. This may be someone you meet at your summer job, through friends, out at the bars or just strolling along the beach. This is great because this is someone you can build some comfort and trust with, but at the same time know things will be coming to an end. You can build a great sexual relationship, and because you know it has to end you will probably be all over each other.  I would recommend being really careful because on the one hand you have the whole summer together to have some fun, but it most likely will end when you both have to go your separate ways, so just make sure to protect your heart.

If you go the Relationship Route: Sometimes that summer love turns into a full blown relationship that you plan to continue even as the leaves change color. Make sure though you have had a conversation about how you will move forward so there are no surprises at the end of the summer. Also know that things will be different at the end of the summer and you get back into the routine of school. If distance is involved, you won’t be able to spend as much time together and you might find that your different routines complicate things.  Make sure you are both very clear on how things might change for you at the end of the summer.

One last tip: while it may seem fun to hook up with a new summer job coworker because they are a novelty, you do have to work with this person for the next three months and you don’t want things to be awkward.

I hope everyone has a fantastic summer, wherever your lies take you, and that you have lots of fun summer sex! If you do have sex on the beach, make sure to put something under your butt so you don’t get sand in your vagina!

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.