Sex with Sarah: Good Vibrations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Masturbation is an important part of every woman’s sex life. It helps you learn what feels good, what brings you to orgasm, and allows you to show yourself some love (as cheesy as that sounds I know).  Of course there is tried and true manual stimulation, but if you want to step it up a notch and use a vibrator, here are my suggestions:

Athena’s “Celebrator”: This is one of Athena’s most highly recommended products, and I know many girls at UMaine who would recommend it as well. This device looks like a toothbrush, but it’s certainly not for brushing your teeth. This vibrator is for clitoral stimulation and will give you long, intense, orgasms. The number one reason it’s so great? It doesn’t leave your clit super sensitive afterwards, so you can keep going to multiple orgasms!

Kegel/Ben Wa/Geisha Balls: This device doesn’t vibrate, but it does promote PC muscle strength! You place the silicone balls inside your vagina and use your muscles to hold it there, thus strengthening you PC muscles, which helps with more intense orgasms. You can also use it to stimulate the feel good zone around the opening of your vagina. The nerves from your clitoris extend around this area which is why is feels so good when a penis/vibrator first enters you.

We-Vibe: This is a toy that is great for couples use. I saw the creators of this product in Vegas when I went to the sex research conference and I must say this toy is AMAZING. Its unique U-shape sits right on your clit and then goes inside and rests on your g-spot area. It stays clipped on during sex, and it vibrates at either tip so you are being stimulated from the inside out during intercourse. Seriously amazing, check it out.

Finally, the tried and true “Rabbit” and it’s many variations: This vibrator was made famous on Sex and The City and is probably the most popular style of vibrator out there. The “Rabbit” is the name of one particular model/brand, but most vibrators have the same general idea: there is a base where the different controls are, then there is a shaft that goes inside and it twists or spins or swirls in some form or another, and then the vibrating part sticks out form the shaft so that it can stimulate your clitoris. There are different speeds for rotation and vibrations so you can mix it up based on how much intensity you like.

Fun Fact: the clit stimulator is shaped like an animal because the toys are made in China where it is actually illegal to have sex toys, so they make them animals so they could be considered regular “toys”. Interesting huh?

Finally, if you would like to throw a sex toy party for you and your friends, the two companies in the area that have representatives are Athena and Pure Romance (www.athenasnh.com and www.pureromance.com). The parties are a lot of fun, you can get some great products, and if you host one you can get up to 10% worth of free stuff based on how much your guests buy. So take a night to turn off the phone, forget about your partner, and vibe with yourself!

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.