An Open Thank You Letter To My Best Friend From High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Hey BFF,

This isn’t what you think it is. This isn’t a letter saying that I understand that we haven’t talked in a year, or two or a decade. This isn’t a letter saying how much we’ve grown apart and how I miss the way things used to be. This isn’t a letter asking you to respond to my texts again.

This is a letter to my best friend from high school who, through life’s changes and crazy turn of events, has remained my best friend.

In high school, we did everything together. From sports to school dances, to sneaking out and driving around town (sorry, Mom). We practiced together, we won together, we lost together, we cried together. For four years, we didn’t realize that we were living the best years of our lives. Once senior year hit, we heard it all.

“You will lose touch with your friends.”

“You’ll go your separate ways, it’s just the way it works.”

All of the adults and teachers were saying the same things and, unfortunately, we believed them.

As the end of high school was quickly nearing, our anxiety was growing and growing. What are we going to do without this friendship? I couldn’t imagine not having that special bond anymore. After graduation we cried and cried, believing that this was truly the last time that we would feel this way with each other- like sisters.

Then, the time finally came. We went to college and eventually, after a semester, the same college.

Now here we are, in our fourth-year of college, and we are still best friends.

Yes, a lot of things have changed. Though we do attend the same university, we don’t see each other in class every day. We don’t sneak out and drive around town eating KFC at midnight. We don’t play on sports teams practicing every single day together. We simply are not able to spend the amount of time that we were once able to together.

For some, this would demolish a relationship. The touch would be lost and the friendship as a whole would slowly fade away. With us, it didn’t matter.

When we do hang out, our friendship feels the same way it did when we were in your car blasting Beyonce on our way to school. When something amazing happens or when something terrible happens- you are who I text. When I’m freaking out about life, relationships or school- you are there for me.

So I guess you can call this an open thank you letter, best friend. Thank you for kicking the cliché to the curb. Thank you for remaining my best friend even though our lives are so different now.

Because of this I know that once we graduate, you will remain my best friend through life, and I thank you for that.

Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.