This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, which means you were probably looking up possible Halloween costumes before you came across this article. However, if anything competes with the thought of costumes, it may just be the thought of candy. If you walk through a grocery store, you will see aisles full colorful packaged candy, ready to be eaten by you and your friends on Halloween night. Here is a compiled list of the best Halloween candy to get on a night of trick-or-treating, or to be purchased on the day after sale.

1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Hands down, this is the best candy on the list. This versatile chocolate comes in a variety of shapes for every holiday (Christmas tree for Christmas, eggs for Easter, and pumpkins for Halloween), as well as flavors (milk, dark, and white). This chocolate melts in your mouth and makes for one happy girl.
  2. Kit Kats. For the peanut allergists, this is the next best thing. The wafer has a satisfying crunch that gives you the best of the chocolate and cookie world.
  3. York Peppermint Patties. If you or someone you know is a mint enthusiast, you can never go wrong with these. Peppermint Patties are an exciting treat to find in the bottom of your trick or treat bag, or 50% off on the discount shelf in the store.
  4. Twix. Chocolate AND caramel together make for a night filled with positive vibes. Don’t tell anyone, but the right one is so much better.
  5. M&M’s. The perfect transition from chocolate to candy. These dime sized candies are sure to make your day with their colorful coatings and their melt-in-your-mouth satisfaction.
  6. Sour Patch Kids. Sick of chocolate? Take a bite or two and engage your sour senses. As the commercial states, “first they’re sour, then they’re sweet”.
  7. Swedish Fish. These deep red fish will get you hooked first bite.  Before you know it, the bag will be empty, and you’ll be out trick-or-treating for more.
  8. Tootsie Rolls. Trick your mind into eating healthy on this sugar filled night by eating a fruit flavored tootsie roll. Let the cherry and orange fill your taste buds, and then end the night with the classic chocolate.
  9. Twizzlers. Candy ropes you can play with AND tastes great? Yes please.
  10. Nerds. Two complimentary flavors in a box WITH pretty colors? Besides this obvious win, nerds have a rock candy taste that is arguably better than actual rock candy.  
Hey all! I am a 3rd year chemical engineering student and is a Paper Mill Co-Op for WestRock. When I am not studying, I enjoy hanging out with friends, going on adventures, watching movies, and painting.
Camille is a fourth-year Political Science major with minors in Leadership Studies and Legal Studies at the University of Maine. She is the Editor in Chief for her chapter, competes in competitive Mock Trial, and is the Treasurer of the Pre-Law Society. Her future plans are to graduate in 2020 and attend law school.