This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

If you are unfamiliar with the thrifting world, let me introduce it to you. In the simplest terms, thrifting is when used clothing gets donated to stores, and you can buy it for a pretty cheap penny. Some people may be turned away due to the fact that the clothes are “used,” but you would be surprised how many clothing items I’ve seen with the brand new tags still attached! Plus, washing machines exist! Go thrift. It’s good for the planet. Unfortunately, attending a college in Northern Maine has made me realize that my options for thrifting are scarce, but it’s still doable.  So let me introduce you to my favorite local thrift stores near Bangor:

Salvation Army-If you’ve ever seen those clothing drop-off bins in random parking lots throughout your town, those donations go to this store! This is one of my favorite thrift stores for multiple reasons. It has a huge selection of clothing and miscellaneous items. I am talking about racks and racks and racks of clothing. They even have a plus size section, which is amazing. On top of that, it is so incredibly affordable. My favorite finds from this store have included a brand new L.L. Bean jacket for $6.99 and Lululemon wunder unders for $2.99. For my lulu girls out there, you know each pair of leggings cost $100 so this was a HUGE win!

Win-Win- A fellow Her Campus member introduced me to this local thrift store and I am so happy she did. If you are interested in something more local and on the smaller side, this store is for you. The motive behind this thrift store makes it all the better due to the fact that a percentage of the sale is donated to a local charity. You can also choose which one to donate to! Their clothes are extremely affordable as well, having multiple racks with $2 items. They have a section dedicated to vintage items as well if that is your interest. The first time I went there, they were having a huge sale making nearly everything for $1. I had purchased multiple pairs of high-end jeans, Nike leggings, and even some dresses for the Summer all for $15. I highly recommend this local hot spot. 

Goodwill- Goodwill is overall just a great thrift store. Personally, I believe this is a great thrift store for beginners. I have only been into thrifting for about a year now, and Goodwill was the first place I had ever been. It amazed me how much I was spending on brand new clothing items from stores like American Eagle, Garage, and Nike when I could find all of those items at thrift stores for a fraction of the cost. Fifty dollars could get you one thing at any of these stores, but could get you ten different items from a thrift store and that concept blew my mind. Goodwill prices range from $3-$10 mostly, with one colored tag being half off each week. There are two Goodwill stores near The University of Maine, one being in Brewer and the other in Bangor. This gives you lots of selection to choose from. I highly recommend Goodwill!

Hello everyone! I am a third year student at The University of Maine who is currently studying Business Management while minoring in English. Aside from hercampus, I am very passionate about mental health and bringing awareness to it. When i'm not studying, I love taking my dog and I on our daily mental health walks!