Item of the Week: The 3 Spring Shoes You Need Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Despite these sporadic snowy days, it is indeed officially spring. This means lots of florals, dresses, and Ray-Bans. The best part of all however, is getting to put away our winter boots, paint our toenails, and wear cute flats and sandals. If you have limited funds and can only splurge on a few pairs of new shoes,
here are the three that will get you through the season.

Oxfords. Oxfords are a great alternative to flats, with an added element of style. I love how they are boyish and retro at the same time. They gained popularity last spring, and by the looks of it, seem to be sticking around. I love a pair in a neutral color, like beige, gray, or brown. I wear mine with every outfit, from skinny jeans, to dresses, to cropped ankle length pants. I got an inexpensive pair at Zara for under $20, but because I wear them so frequently, invested in a pair of leather ones from Steve Madden for $70. Oxfords are great for spring because they feel so fresh and fun.

Leather Sandals. A good, quality pair of flat leather sandals will be your go-to shoe this spring and summer. Think gladiator styles or ones with a funky ankle strap. Buy a pair that are comfortable and match a variety of outfits, from casual to more dressed up, and you will be set. I love Sam Edelman’s
leather sandals because they are comfortable, extremely good quality, and always cute. Don’t be afraid to buy a pair that are more trendy, because you are most likely going to wear them so much, they won’t last you another year! I prefer mine basic, but embellishments like sparkles, hardware, and studs add interest.

Havaianas. Havaianas are the undisputed rubber flip flop god. They’re comfortable, affordable, and good quality. I basically trekked across Europe in a pair, and they are still in great shape! A pair of rubber flip flops is a must for running errands, going to the beach, walking around, and when you need to be comfortable. When you need to be more dressed up, you can choose between your oxfords and leather sandals. My favorites are the metallic slim ones, or the ones with Swarovski crystals on them.

Images from Havainas, Steve Madden, and Sam Edelman

Macey Hall is a senior at the University of Maine studying Journalism with a minor in Sociology. She loves fashion and traveling, and studied abroad last year in England. On campus, she writes a weekly fashion column for the school paper, The Maine Campus, and is president of Lambda Pi Eta, an honor society for Communications students. Macey is an extrovert who loves laughing, tacos, clothes, and reading, and wants to be a Kardashian when she grows up.