This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

I LOVE going to the gym. I consider it one of my biggest hobbies, as well as one of my favorite ways to destress. It can also be a huge mood booster. As my bodybuilder friend once said to me: “lift big weight, no more sad.”  I believe that a good lift can improve even my worst days, and I am always delighted after a good pull day. All in all, the New Balance Rec Center has become a second home to me. However, it didn’t always feel like the safe space it is today. When I was new to the gym, I felt like a total outcast. I was overcome by the variety of equipment, the amount of people, and the awareness and focus that everyone else seemed to have in contrast to my blundering disorganization. To top it off, I was there for the wrong reasons: I believed that I needed to sculpt my body to a certain standard in order to be beautiful. In short, I was overwhelmed, disorganized, and miserable. It took many approaches to build the love I have for the gym today, and I wanted to share some of the steps I took along the way. 

Go for the right reasons!

At the start of my workout journey, I focused on one thing and one thing only: my physical appearance. I was inattentive to my mental and physical health, and I prioritized the way I looked while ignoring how I felt. This approach was destructive, and it led to misery and injury. It took time and self-reflection through therapy (shoutout to Julia), but I was eventually able to exercise in ways which cultivated my wellness as a whole instead of my mere physical fitness. If you are in this position right now, please don’t make the same mistakes I did! Yes, physical fitness is a fun thing to build, but it should never come at the expense of your overall health. You are worth so much more than the appearance of your body. Read that again. 

Go at slow hours!

Whether you are new or experienced with working out, a crowded space can be intimidating and distracting. A full gym always makes me feel rushed, as it seems like someone is always waiting to snag the machine or weights I am using. This pressure was very uncomfortable for me when I went at crowded times, and I would rush through my workouts instead of taking my time and focusing. The solution that worked for me? Going in at less crowded times! With fewer people at the gym, I find it much easier to focus on my workouts instead of worrying about inconveniencing those around me. I am also able to work out much more efficiently, as I rarely have to wait for a turn on a machine. Win-win solution. 

Make a plan of attack!

When I was new to the gym, I would often go in with only a general idea of what I was doing. “Uhhh… I know I should do a leg workout today! Maybe I’ll use the Smith machine…”. This approach was inefficient; I would spend more time wandering around deciding what to do rather than exercising! Not very productive. My solution for this? Creating a plan in advance. There are infinite resources for crafting workouts online, and 30 minutes of organized research can help anyone create a variety of workouts for themselves.  My notes app is full of workout plans, so I always go in with an idea of what I should do. For my iPhone users: I would highly recommend using the checklist function. 

Fuel. Your. Body.

This one is non-negotiable. Exercise is a physical output. In order to produce this output, your body needs enough input. This includes adequate food, water, sleep… all of the physical necessities. You wouldn’t drive a car without gas, so why would you try to exercise your body without the fuel it needs? It makes no sense. In order to work out, you need to be fed and rested. Simple. 

Ditch fitfluencers and avoid comparisons!

We all know the type. Flawless, poised, and polished, they make the rest of us feel like we’re doing something wrong. The ones who perpetuate and uphold every harmful beauty standard society hurls our way. The ones who make us think “why can’t I look like that??” To answer this question as quickly as possible: they don’t. Many of these personas are the product of expert makeup, studio lighting, surgery, and photoshop. When I followed fitfluencer accounts, I often compared myself to them. This comparison was a thief of joy and a bringer of insecurity. Consuming unrealistic media made me feel as though I could never be as beautiful as society wanted me to be. When I realized how harmful and unfair it was to compare myself to something so unrealistic, I quickly ditched those accounts. I also avoided media which constantly praised or ridiculed people for their bodies. Because of this social media cleansing, my self-esteem has grown exponentially. In fact, I no longer feel the need to compare myself to anyone at all. I feel content with who I am, and I no longer aspire to unrealistic standards. Ditch those accounts and stay in your lane. It’s worth it.

Halle James

U Maine '23

A suffering Civil Engineer just trying her best :)