How Fashion Week Works

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Happy Mercedes-Benz fashion week (MBFW) everybody! It is day five of 12 for the MBFW and about 60 designers have already shown their collections. I have been dedicating most of my mornings, afternoons and evening hours to watching these shows. Even during classes, fashion shows are on the computer when my professor is not watching; yes I know, I’m not supposed to do that, but I am dedicated to fashion and I am doing it anyway. 

This week I decided that I would give you a quick blurb about how Fashion Week works. 

There are four major fashion weeks all over the world: 

1. Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week (NYC)

2. London Fashion Week

3. Milan Fashion Week

4. Paris Fashion Week

Designers create three major collections throughout the year. 

1. Spring/Summer

2. Ready to Wear (RTW)

3. Fall/Winter

Of course, deigners do create other collections including swim, resortwear, and activewear, however they are not always shown in the major fashion weeks, however, it depends on the designer.

So you would think that designers would show their spring/summer collection in the spring and fall/winder collections in the fall. Well you would br wrong. Spring/Summer collections are shown in September and October, and Fall/Winter collections are shown in February and March. Why you ask? Well unfortunately the best thing I can do for you is guess until I do some more research and find out the answer; however I am going to guess that people should understand what styles are “in” before people do a wardrobe “face-lift” between the spring/summer and fall/winter. Is that the reason? I am not sure, but if I find out a credible reason, I will let you know. 

Between the two major shows of Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer, designers show their Ready to Wear (RTW) collections so they are always creating something for stores like Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue, Barnies and other large department stores. 

Keep in mind, if you are watching these shows, none of these looks are ready to wear. They are called avant garde which is a french term for “forefront” meaning that they are supposed to be outrageous to make buyers remember their looks. After all the fashion weeks are done, the designers make edits to their collection to make their whole collection ready to wear. 

Out of the about 40 shows that I have watched already, my favorite by far has to be Lacoste. They did a collection of completely sheer outfits and it was EXTREMELY chic and avant garde. 

Next week I will be writing the 10 Must-Haves for Spring/Summer 2014! 

Name: Rachel Boudreau Grade: Senior (Graduating in December) Major: Journalism/Broadcast Concentration Minor: French Aspirations: Write for Cosmopolitan, or Foreign Correspondant in France Hobbies: Swimming, shopping, photography, cooking, crafting, friend time,
Taylor is a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Maine and one of Her Campus UMaine's campus correspondants. Taylor was born right outside of Philadephia, Pennsylvania, but spent summers teaching sailing on Vinalhaven, Maine. Taylor also produces video for The Maine Campus, and loves making videos.