Hot Nail Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

4  HOT NAIL TRENDS:

CHROME MANICURE:

I first got hooked on this new look in December after seeing one of the HC founder’s,  Stephanie Kaplan’s tweet about her recent manicure. I couldn’t get enough of it…tweeted her about it, researched what it was, googled where I could find it locally around here (surprisingly…the answer is no where).

A chrome manicure is not actually polish but they literally glue the chrome nails directly onto your own, similar to an acrylic. When you get the nails put on you are able to choose the length of your desire and the best part is that they don’t even chip! You can leave the nails on for a few weeks or until you choose to have them taken off which is when you just soak them in a special chemical to have them come off. And it doesn’t stop there…the best part of this chrome trend is the price! Stephanie got her manicure done at salon in Newton, MA where the price was only $16, about the same price as a regular manicure anyways.

I want one more than I want my current David Yurman ring and Brian Atwood pumps (okay…maybe not that much).  I spent all morning recently calling around to local salons in the greater Bangor area and had no such luck. Oh well, guess I’ll have to wait till I get back down to Boston (t-minus two months until it’s a permanent move though!)

Photo Credit: Stephanie Kaplan & HerCampus

HALF MOON:

Half moon manis have been all over the latest Spring 2011 runways, beauty pages and on the nails of the ones we all envy. So now fear not! You too can join the ranks of the beauty elite.

These statement-making nails are becoming the new “it” of the nail world for this season. With a toast to the retro, these moon manis can be altered to fit your own personality depending on color and length. Whether neutral, brights or a combo of both the half moons can be eye catching and something a little different. So switch it up and try this one out!

Photo Credit:nailartdesigns.uni.cc

LACE:

Okay so I know I’m a little behind on this trend because I fell in love with it last summer while perusing the pages of the Glamour during work (sidenote: how great is it that I had an internship that WANTED me to look through the endless pages of such mags??).

The pretty and feminine look creates a romantic and sexy edge to your hands. I recently tried Sally Hansen’s new sticker nails and am hooked. They retail for about $9 in stores and are so easy to do, no more worrying about smudges! But you can also do an at home do-it-yourself treatment by using clear nail polish and actual lace. When I tried out this trend recently in Boston I had so many comments about it!

Photo Credit: etceterablogmagazine.blogspot.com

SHATTER:

OPI released their new Shatter nail polish recently even though this crackle trend has been explored for a while now. This latest trend is gaining popularity where these polishes are created to be applied over a coat of dried nail polish and then they actually begin to “shatter” and develop cracks as the coat dries. The result is a unique and fierce look that is certain to draw attention.

Use over any color, my favorite is over a bright neon or sparkly (obviously I approve over anything with glitter) polish so that the contrast between the base and the shatter coat looks especially cool. The look is an alternative to expensive salon manicures that can have your funds dwindling down fast, instead do this at-home treatment yourself to get the same, eye-catching effects!

Photo Credit: elizabethbeauty.co.uk

Rep Image Photo Credit: thebeautycounter.blogspot.com

Shaina Dennis is a senior at the University of Maine majoring in mass communications and double minoring in public relations and business administration. She was born in heels, preferably 5” stilettos, and is a lover of traveling, shopping, cooking, laughing and meeting new people. She is an active sister in the Delta Nu chapter of Alpha Phi and when not obsessing over anything sparkly, Shaina can be found making sushi and taking photos. But don’t let the glitter and pink fool you, this girly-girl drives a stick and can fish for lobster like no other. Although she grew up in a small, rural town, Shaina is a city girl at heart and loves a fast-paced lifestyle of always being on the go!